Sunday, July 3, 2011

Patriotic Tie-Dye Ice Cream


We are going to have some tie-dye fun over the next few days, and I thought it would be fun to start with tie-dye ice cream for the 4th of July.

We used:
  • 1/2 gallon of vanilla ice cream (I actually used a little more than 1/2 gallon because I had a container that was almost empty so I just added that in with the new 1/2 gallon)
  • cherry red Jello powder (approximately 9 TBSP)
  • berry blue Jello powder (approximately 6 TBSP)

First, I sprinkled 3 TBSP of the red Jello powder in the bottom of a 2.75 quart rectangular Pyrex container.


Then, I spread 1/4 of the ice cream over that powder.


Next, I sprinkled 3 TBSP of the blue Jello powder over the first ice cream layer.


I continued layering ice cream and Jello powder until I ran out of ice cream.


Then I sprinkled 3 TBSP of red Jello powder over the top, put the cover on the container, and put it in the freezer for at least two hours.  Once it was frozen, I scooped it into dishes and called the kids for tie-dye ice cream.

This is the reaction it got from everyone who tried it:


I'm not sure if it was our flavor combination, but it tasted like cough syrup and some of the Jello powder was gritty in the ice cream.  It looks cool, and I was really hoping for success, but this was a failure.  Oh well, hopefully the rest of our tie dye activities are successful.

*The tie-dye ice cream recipe is from Family Fun Magazine.

7 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Hmmm...I didn't think Jell-O and ice cream sounded like a good combo - the color is very nice. I wonder if powdered chocolate and strawberry milk mix would be better - not patriotic, but still tie-dye.

Susana said...

Well, it looks cool, but that's too bad it didn't turn out to taste good. That picture of C is hilarious :-).

Hope the rest of your tye dye fun is a success!

Jenny said...

LOL, love the face! It looks cool though.

Ticia said...

The color looks very good, it's a shame it didn't quite work for the snack.....

PapaDan47 said...

I wonder if it would have worked if you mixed the jello crystals with warm milk or cream before combining it. Love, Dad

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Sorry that it looked better than it tasted. I usually have this problem with jello - nobody in the family cares for it except me. C's expression is too funny in that last picture.

Sherri said...

This is awesome...that would have been perfect with my cupcakes! =)