Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Tie Dye Monster Shirts

This is the second summer in a row that C and R have made tie dye tee shirts.  This year, my sister was visiting from upstate NY and was able to help with the dye process.  It was a good thing she did, because I could not figure out the directions on how to wrap the shirts and how to place the rubber bands.

C used red, yellow, and blue dye, and R used pink, purple, and green dye.  The kit we used came from Wal-Mart; everything was included except the tee shirts.





I love C's bedhead in this photo!

Here are the cool shirts C and R made:

The colors and designs came out really cool!  We are very happy with the results.
We didn't stop there though.  Auntie Karen brought make your own monster iron-on art (she purchased them on clearance from Michael's) and we figured they would look really cool on the tie dye shirts.  Here is an Amazon link to similar monster iron-on art from the same company.


C and R both had fun with this.  After I ironed on the bodies, they were able to choose different pieces to create their own monsters.  Then I ironed those in place.




Another fun item checked off on the Summer Bucket List!

11 comments:

Ticia said...

Those turned out so cute! I'll have to see if our local Michael's has that on clearance.

I'm trying to decide if I'm brave enough to try it with my kids......... They're more of a leap and then ask type kids and that could be bad for this.....

Jen said...

They turned out great! We love our homemade tie died shirts.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Love the shirts and the expressions of concentration - I think I will add this activity to my next year Summer Bucket list!

Brimful Curiosities said...

So colorful! I like the monster additions.

Susan said...

Very cute! We have a tie-dye kit that I really need to pull out SOON for the girls.

MaryAnne said...

What a cute idea! The monsters are the perfect touch.

I'm with Ticia, not brave enough yet to do this with my kids. Maybe next summer...

Jenny said...

Those turned out great! We did the Sharpie with alcohol tie dye and it was not as messy, but still fun.

Anonymous said...

Love how these turned out!

Unknown said...

SOOOOO adorable!

(Oh, and I'm glad to see y'all wore gloves when you did you're dying- I did NOT and ended up turning my hands a lovely shade of "rash red." I did it at Christmas and my hands matched my red sweaters beautifully...)

Kelly said...

I love these!! They turned out so pretty and personalized. It must be fun having their aunt there.
Little Wonders' Days

Sherri said...

You guys are rocking!
These are adorable!