Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Few Good Reads

Here are a few of our favorite reads right now:
The Terrible Plop by Ursula Dubosarsky is about a brave little rabbit who learns not to panic when the sky, or something else, appears to be falling.  I really like the message that things are not always as scary as they seem.  The illustrations by Andrew Joyner are simple and fun; I particularly like the facial expressions he gave the different animals. 

What Sisters Do Best/ What Brothers Do Best by Laura Numeroff is two books in one.  The text is almost exactly the same in both books, with the only difference being the word "sisters" or "brothers".  I like that it shows that sisters and brothers can do the same things, and I also like the way the sisters or brothers help each other throughout the book.  This is a very cute book for preschoolers and early elementary age children.


My sister and brother-in-law gave C the book The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow by Andy Griffiths.  It has ten short stories that are easy to read and feature exactly the type of humor that keeps C going back for more.  He has read through this book a few times since Christmas, so I have to highlight it here as a great choice for reluctant readers.  C likes to read, but he often gets bored with the easy readers because the subject matter does not always appeal to him.  This book does exactly that.  I'm on the lookout for more books like this.  Let me know if you have any recommendations.

I am linking this to What My Child is Reading at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.  Hop on over there for more book suggestions!
 

8 comments:

Debbie said...

What Sisters Do Best/What Brothers Do Best, I bet is a good book, we enjoyed Laura Nueroff's book What Grandmas Do Best/What Grandpas Do Best! The other two books sound good too.

Ticia said...

Laura Numeroff has the best books.

The cover on that top book is way too cute, that bear looks angry.

momandkiddo said...

The Terrrible Plop does look pretty cute!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I wonder if Anna will like The Big Fat Cow book. Sometimes she goes for something that seems very unlikely to me. We read What Sisters Do Best - it's really a very sweet and beautifully illustrated book. Thank you for joining WMCIR!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for these great book ideas! I'm going to look for What Sisters Do Best.

Julie said...

My C loves The Big Fat Cow book. The author has another one called The Cat on the Mat is Flat which we like even better. I definitely recommend it. C is now spending all his time reading and re-reading all the Captain Underpants books. If you don't mind the potty humor (definitely read it before you give one to him) I'd recommend those too.

Unknown said...

we love a lot of the same books - but i don't get to do any of the princess stuff cause i have 3 boys!

i saw a comment by you on one of the blogs you follow- you asked what she did with all the wonderful crafts and artwork her girls do- i am doing a post on that very thing tonight! i take photos of everything (i save a few special ones- but the pictures of all the artwork go in a binder - each boy has their own section) Then I don't have to feel bad about gettin rid of clutter! the boys don't mind once they see the picture!

Sherri said...

These sound great I'll have to check them out! =)