Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Melted Snowmen


This used to be our snowman.  He was made mostly by Dad.  I don't know about your kids, but mine can never wait to build a snowman; when the time comes, however, they help for about two minutes and then Dad does the rest of the building.  Anyway, we have had some mild temperatures and our snowman has melted into a tiny pile of snow with a couple sticks, rocks, and a carrot in the vicinity.

The melted snowman was the inspiration for these snacks.


I placed a cookie on a plate, covered it with melted white chocolate, topped that with a marshmallow that I also covered with melted white chocolate, and then I added chocolate chips, a piece of candy corn, and pretzel sticks.  I purposely made them look messy because the snowman is melting; it's not supposed to look pretty.


R does not like marshmallows, so I just left out the marshmallow.

One of our favorite snowman books is The Snowman by Raymond Briggs.  This is a beautiful, wordless book about a little boy who makes a snowman (all by himself, no less) and at night the snowman comes to life.  The boy shows the snowman all of the wonders of human life (television, a lamp, ice cubes, etc.) and then the snowman takes the boy on a magical, wintry adventure.  The boy is returned to his bed before his parents wake up, but the next morning he runs outside to find only his new friend's melted remains and a few lumps of coal.

9 comments:

MaryAnne said...

You are such a fun mom! Your snacks are very cute - and as sad as a melting snowman is, weren't the warmer days nice? =)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

We love this book too. The snack sounds yummy, and I suspect we would have to build a snowman here too, at least for the first few times. After all, this would be something completely new to our daughter :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

The neighbor boys built a huge snowman, and my children were intrigued, but not motivated into action :) Love the snack!

Miller Moments said...

You really are the coolest mom! (ha ha...coolest!)

Debbie said...

Selena was so sad when her first ever snowman melted. Love the snack idea! I will have to look for this book.

Anonymous said...

Mmm mmm! We love The Snowman too.

Unknown said...

This snack looks so yummy. I hope you will link it to Read.Explore.Learn on Friday.

Ticia said...

I wonder if that book was the inspiration for Frosty the Snowman.......

I think it predates Frosty.

Yummy snacks as always.

April said...

I remember making snowmen a few times when I lived in Michigan for a little bit when I was a kid. I remember that I would make snow coins instead of balls because I would just roll in a straight line lol.

I really hope my kids have this experience before they get too old...there is still time, I know.