Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Alphabet bean bag games






We played two alphabet bean bag games today. First, I dumped the bag of alphabet bean bags on the floor and we each took turns pretending to be different animals. For example, I chose alligator and we would all pretend to be alligators while looking for the "A" bean bag. Once found, we put the bean bag in a line. We didn't go in alphabetical order; we just picked animals and then found the letter. As we found each letter, however, we did place them in the correct order. We had quite a few duplicates and that was ok; we still found the letter even though it was already in the line. Also, I had to help them come up with animals for a few of the letters. R will be three on Friday and her job was to look for letters. C will be five in August and he was in charge of placing the letters in order. I gave them each a specific job because C has known all of the letters for years now and letter recognition exercises should be geared toward R. C, on the other hand, has to think through where each letter goes in alphabetical order.




The second game we played helped C and R clean up the bean bags. I chose one of the letters and had them do an activity to get to the letter and put it in the bag. Some examples: hop over the H, kick the K, bounce to B, jump over J, zigzag to Z, slide to S, etc. If I couldn't think of an activity for them to do then I would have them act like an animal that started with the letter.


C jumping over "J"



They both had fun while learning, what more can I ask?

No comments: