Monday, March 30, 2009

Math by Chocolate


Last week we borrowed The m&m's brand chocolate candies Counting Book by Barbara Barbieri McGrath from the library. C and R had a lot of fun with this book.



You only need 12 m&m's, but you do need specific colors so plan ahead if you want to avoid dumping more candies than necessary for your child. I did not plan ahead and C and R had too many m&m's in front of them, but I was able to remove the leftovers without any complaint once I told them they could each have 12 at the end of the book.


The book teaches the numbers 1 through 12 and simple math like addition and sets of 12. The directions were simple enough for R (3) to follow.



It also teaches three primary shapes: the square,



the circle, and




the triangle.

The best part of the book for C and R was the subtraction. Subtraction is taught by eating the m&m's. We had a lot of fun with this book and C and R only ate 12 m&m's each - well worth it for the math lessons!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very fun, but I never want my kids to know how good M & M's because then they would want to eat mine. It is sad to confess, but I eat a pack of them every day with my morning cups of coffee. They think it is a mommy only food. ;)