Friday, April 3, 2009

Tot school

Tot School

I never think I have anything to post for Tot School until I look at my photos from the week. This week went by so fast. I had a lot more planned, but it didn't happen.



R had fun counting with m&ms while we read The m&ms Counting Book by Barbara Barbieri McGrath. Check out my post about this book. I'm not sure this qualifies as Tot school, but R had her first haircut this week and she did so well. I can't believe she passed on the shampoo and scalp massage though; I so enjoy a good scalp massage.





We bought this neat map that holds state quarters. Someday I will post about my obsession with teaching my children geography. Let's just say that I am geographically challenged (thank you public schools) and I want my children to be more knowledgeable about the world. R was not very interested in looking at the different quarters, but she did enjoy putting the quarters in the map. She was also very proud of herself for remembering the names of the states. We had four different state quarters this week.






We went to the zoo this week and R laughed hysterically watching the otters play. I have to find a good book about otters (fiction or nonfiction - suggestions are welcome!) because my children always enjoy watching the otters.









We read Ten Black Dots by Donald Crews and used black pom poms to count the different objects in the book. Check out that post too!








Is there a better way to end the week than with homemade chocolate chip cookies? Would you feel the same way if I told you that C and R licked those spoons and then put them back in the bowl? I tried to prevent that, really I did.






Thank you, Carisa, for hosting Tot School!











13 comments:

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

Those books are totally cool! The M&M one is awsome! I would get it but I fear...no, I know Z would just eat the M&M's grrrr...but the Black Dot one...?
Don't tell anyone but sometimes I lick the spoon and put it back in the bowl. Just kidding. ;)
Looks like you had a great week. I' loving your ideas!

Amy @ Literacy Launchpad said...

I'm inspired by this post! Love these activities. I love that your children are getting to explore their natural interests.

Oh, and I'm terrible at geography!! It's one of those things that really bothers me, and I keep wanting to improve. Funny thing is, I have a high school geography teacher in my small group this year. I should get some tutoring or homework or something from him. Ha! I have a feeling I will be emphasizing geography with my kiddo(s) too. Too funny!

Unknown said...

I love that M&M book looks like lots of fun!! Tasty learning :)

Jennifer said...

I love the idea of using the state quarters to learn about geography. Where did you get the map?

RockerMom said...

I love the tray with three sections. I saw one yesterday and almost got it. I think I'll go back and buy one. RockerDad wants me to get RockerTot a U.S. map puzzle and I was afraid he wasn't ready. I have a feeling we'll get one sometime in the next year. Thanks for sharing!!

Christy Killoran said...

This is the state quarters map that I have http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0794821944. I bought it in March from Amazon for $8.99; I have no idea why it is almost $200 now.

Life is Good said...

I love the use of the pom poms and the books! We also went to the zoo this week! Looks like they had a great week!

Unknown said...

I'd love to read some of your geography teaching techniques! Care to share? :D

Christy Killoran said...

I'm working on a geography post, but we use puzzles, games, books and even a rug to learn about geography! We are starting a state of the week too! I'll try to get the post up within the next few days.

CristyLynn said...

Um, I would still eat the cookies; I love licking the spoon! I have to remind myself that other people will be eating cookies, too. :)

Karen Wilson said...

I recommend "Do Unto Otters" by Laurie Keller. It's all about manners.

SchoolinRHome said...

Love the quarters map- where did you get it?
Great tot school. I haven't been able to post for awhile but hope to again soon!
SchoolinRhome

Ticia said...

I would still eat your cookies. I'm sure they're yummy. We have spoon licking arguments here as well.
So, what do ya'll do to cover geography? I'd love a post on that.