Saturday, July 13, 2013

Audubon Camp


Collin attended Audubon Camp at Caratunk for the third year this week.  He chose the Wilderness Skills camp, and he had a great time.  He had camp from 9:00 - 3:00 each day.  Here are some of the things they did: hiking, exploring in the stream and pond, compass orienteering, learning about native plants and animals, identifying animal tracks, trees, and edible plants, making crafts, and building shelters.

It's funny what a difference a year makes.  Last summer, he asked me to arrive at camp fifteen minutes early to pick him up because he worried that I wouldn't come.  This year, he kept asking me to arrive ten minutes late so that he could stay longer!  I arrived on time, of course.  I'm glad he enjoys this camp so much.  It is worth every penny and the twenty minute drive back and forth.

The first day of camp, the sun was HOT.  Collin looked like he was about to melt when I arrived for pick up.
Another difference this year -- in the past, I could take pictures of Collin and his crafts inside of the cabin, but this year he asked me to wait until we got to the car.

One day, I looked in my rear view mirror and saw this:
He was wiped out!  That shirt he is wearing is this year's camp shirt and the bird on the front is the Peregrine Falcon.

There were four children with nut allergies in the group this year, so Collin couldn't have peanut butter in his lunch.  This was tough because Collin is a picky eater and likes peanut butter for lunch most days.  I went through a long list of alternatives, and he wanted none of them.  He ended up eating butter sandwiches all week.


Collin made this candle using crayon wax:

Here are all of the candles he has made at Audubon Camps over the years:
I think they are so very cool, and I love having this collection.

He also printed this tee shirt:
It was another great week of Audubon camp!  I'm glad that Collin enjoys it so much.  He's already talking about next year!

4 comments:

Sherri said...

It's so funny as they get older they start to care about little things like taking pictures! It made me laugh that he wanted you to wait until the car...at least he wanted them! :) He does remind me of Luke! I love love love those crayon candles...too cool!
It sounds like a great camp!

MaryAnne said...

I remember reading about his camp last year - it always sounds so cool!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It looks like a terrific camp. It's amazing to see how our children grow and change over years, especially when they are someone else's children :)

Anonymous said...

What an awesome camp! I had to laugh of the picture of him asleep! That's when you know they had a lot of fun!