Monday, February 25, 2013

Sickness, Play Dough, and Game Day

Kate's croupy cough ended up getting worse, warranting a trip  to the pediatrician last Tuesday.  She was diagnosed with an ear infection and upper respiratory inflammation; she is still taking Amoxicillin and Prednisone.  She is almost eighteen months old, and this is the first time she has needed an antibiotic or any prescription.  Until yesterday, giving her the medicine was a battle royale!  I would hold Kate, and Tom would give her the medicine, but she screamed and fought the whole time.  For some reason (maybe because she is feeling better?), Kate stopped battling us at medicine time yesterday.  She took her medicine like a big girl, and we cheered for her!

I introduced Kate to play dough last week, and she had fun squishing it, sticking things in it, and just playing with the dough.
 That white spot on her forehead is Amoxicillin; I wiped it away over and over again, but it didn't go away until she had a bath later in the day!




Speaking of baths, all of a sudden Kate HATES bath time!  I'm hoping this will pass after her sickness is completely gone and she is back to herself.  She has always loved bath time, but now she refuses to sit and just cries and screams to get out.  Maybe the water hurts her ear???  I'm not sure, but I hope her love of bath time returns!

Last week was school vacation, but I didn't do anything with the kids because Kate was sick.  Collin and Reagan slept over Grandma's house two nights in a row and also went to Toys R Us to use gift cards.

Reagan also spent one day at her friend Courtney's house; they went ice skating in her yard.


On Friday night, Jess babysat while Tom and I went to Not Your Average Joe's for dinner.  When we came home, we found this cool fort.

 Reagan slept under there for part of the night!

Collin slept on the couch.  For some reason, they love to sleep in the living room, and they were looking forward to this "camp out" all week.

On Saturday night, Grandma played Monopoly with Collin and Reagan; this ignited a game spark and all day yesterday was spent playing games.

I played Monopoly with Tom, Collin, and Reagan during Kate's nap.  The game went on and on and on, a real battle between Tom and Collin, but Tom won.


After that game, Tom, Tyler, Collin and Reagan played Monopoly, and it was another LONG game with a final battle between Tom and Tyler.  I think Tom won, or maybe they called the game.


Tom, Collin, Reagan, and I played Uno after Kate went to bed.  Tom won again.  Right before bed, Reagan (the Memory champion) challenged Tom to a game of Memory, and he won again!!!  He is just a little competitive.

I can't believe it's the end of February already!  We have some fun things to look forward to in March, Reagan's party and seventh birthday, St. Patrick's Day, and Easter to name a few!

5 comments:

Ticia said...

I seem to remember one of my kids going through a phase of hating baths, and now all 3 of them are nuts for baths. Do what I do and keep repeating to yourself, "This too shall pass."

I wish your posts still showed up in my reader because I do terrible at remembering to actually come and check for posts. Sigh, poor me :)

Sherri said...

Fort!
Yes! Thanks for the reminder! That is exactly what we need to do !
Rex hates bathes! He always has! I wish he would just have fun in the water like all the other did..but he screams the entire time!
I love that you had a family game night! I love games...we need to play them as a family more!
I can't believe she was ice skating in the backyard...too cool!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Sorry that Kate was sick. Anna loves Monopoly too, but last time we played she had a really bad turn of luck, so now she'd rather play chess and Scrabble. Funny how she decided to switch from games of luck to games of skill.

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures of Kate's little hands squishing the playdough! She looks so big playing in it! Sammy would be all about sleeping in the family room if we let him too! He loves to make forts in his room and sleep! We love games over here too!! Looks like everyone had fun playing!

MaryAnne said...

I'm sorry Kate was sick for school vacation week!

If we stay in MA, I'm hoping to convince Mike to build an ice rink in our back yard one of these winters. We have a flat yard that would be perfect for it!