Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Hawaiian Christmas Tree

We are currently learning about the state of Hawaii for our Fifty States Project. I was thrilled to find The Hawaiian Christmas Tree by Dawn Adrienne at our local library. This is a very sweet story about a young girl in Hawaii who believes her dream of a living Christmas tree will come true. C really enjoyed the book, but the text was a little too long for R. She loved the last page of Hawaiian words though. Here are the words that we learned from this book:
  • Aloha: Love, greeting, compassion, kindness
  • Hau'oli Makahiki Hou: Happy New Year
  • Hui E Nei: Hello, beloved
  • Ka Lei: the lei - hence Kalei (the name of the young girl in the book), meaning wreath of flowers
  • Lu'au: feast
  • Mele Kalikimaka: Merry Christmas
  • Wilelaiki: Christmas berry tree
Mele Kalikimaka my friends!

3 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

cool I'll have to see if our library has that book!

Ticia said...

Did ya'll watch Lilo and Stitch? That would be fun to go with Hawaii.

Susana said...

I love how you are using this book at this time, it's perfect. Hanna loves all to do with Hawaii. I should look for this book.

So, can you read those Hawaiian words? I wouldn't be able to:-). I think the language is very pleasant to the ear, especially set to music.