Thursday, December 10, 2009

Molasses Cookies

Years ago, I used to think molasses cookies were gross. I had only tried the store bought variety. My husband kept asking me to make them for him and I finally did about two or three years ago. Now, it is one of my favorite cookies. It's amazing how much a good recipe really can make or break the finished product.

Here is the recipe:

3/4 cup butter softened
1/2 cup white sugar plus more for rolling cookies in before baking
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger

Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat in molasses and egg.
Combine dry ingredients; add gradually to creamed mixture.
Chill for 1 hour or until firm.
Shape into 1 inch balls. Roll the balls in sugar.
Place balls on cookie sheet and keep in ball form for best results. (They spread a lot so I only put six on a cookie sheet at a time.)
Bake at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Cool on wire rack.

Enjoy! I don't have a picture of anyone enjoying these cookies because they disappeared too fast!

9 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

I just might have to buy molasses for the first time to try these they look yummy and i bet your house smelled super yummy! :)

Susana said...

I've never had these--storebought or homemade--we may have to try making them the next couple weeks.

Thank you for sharing this recipe.

I've been meaning to tell you--I really love Straight No Chaser. I'd never heard them until you mentioned them, the music is great!

momandkiddo said...

mmmmmm, molasses cookies have always been my favorite.

Morgan said...

I'm hoping to make some molasses cookies today. They are SO good and chewy!

danita said...

definitely one of our favorites, too! i also like gingerbread--it's all about the molasses!

Rebecca said...

I also used to only buy the store bought ones and thought they were not that great. But last year my friend made homemade ones and they were sooo good!

Miller Moments said...

Mmm, they look great! I just bought molasses to make gingerbread, so I'll have to give these a try.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

They must have been really tasty! Sounds delicious! I'm going to have Mark make some. I'm not much of a baker, but he's practically a pro. Yummm!!

Lynn said...

Yum! I love Molasses cookies, and my favorite are from Dancing Deer bakery in Mass.