Friday, January 25, 2013

A Day in the Life

I decided to write a "Day in the Life" post to capture a little of what I do all day.  I can't say that this is always what it is like around here, every day is different.

It is really hard to take pictures during the hustle and bustle of a day; I kept forgetting or just didn't have my phone or the camera nearby.  Also, I am sure I left things out; I tried to be as accurate as I could be without driving myself crazy!

I hope to look back on this one day and laugh, cry, reminisce, or whatever!

Sometime between 5:30 and 6, I hear Kate talking in her crib.

6:00
Tom gets up.  I get up and make the bed, then go brush my teeth while Tom gets Kate out of the crib. Tom plays with Kate for a few minutes before getting ready for work.

I wake Tyler up and change Kate.

Reagan wakes up and goes downstairs to the couch for a bit.

Get Kate breakfast - today it's Cheerios.  While she eats, I make a green smoothie.  I give some to Kate and Reagan; they don't seem to like this one (spinach, coconut water, banana, mango, pineapple) and only drink a little, they both prefer strawberry,banana,blueberry,spinach smoothies.

Tom comes downstairs for breakfast.

Kate spills her smoothie.  I clean it up.

I take the dog out and get her breakfast.  Then I empty the dishwasher.

7:00
Tom leaves with Tyler (on Fridays they get breakfast sandwiches before school, the rest of the week Tyler takes the bus to school at 6:45).

I pack lunches and toast an English muffin for Reagan while she empties the silverware.

Collin wakes up at 7:30 and eats cereal.

I wash a few dishes while Kate is pulling on my robe.

Kate and I head upstairs to get her dressed and wash her always dirty face.

Collin and Reagan are playing downstairs and I get in the shower.  Most days I do not shower until Kate's nap or even later.  Kate plays in the bathroom while I shower.

8:00
Collin and Reagan get ready for school.

Tom calls to see how the morning is going.

I wash more dishes while Reagan sings karaoke, Collin plays with Legos, and Kate makes messes!

I remember that I have to order bathing suits for swimming lessons, so I do that and then start a load of laundry.

8:45 we leave for school

I run errands - bank, return library books in book return and head home.  Kate falls asleep on the way home (ugh, I hope that 10 minute nap does not prevent her regular nap).

9:20  I wake her up and bring her in the house for a snack.

While she eats yogurt, I take a few minutes to type this far into this post!

After taking the dog out, I have a bowl of cereal,

clean and change Kate, and put the laundry in the dryer.

Kate and I strip the boys' beds and start another load of laundry before heading downstairs to play.

10:45 I attempt to put Kate down for a nap.

While she is in the crib, I make Collin's bed, put laundry away, balance the checkbook, make a pitcher of fresh brewed iced tea, and eat lunch (beans and rice over a polenta crust).

11:40 I still hear Kate so I try to rock her for a few minutes and put her back in the crib.

12:05 Kate is still calling for me.  I give up on the nap idea!

I change Kate, vacuum the downstairs while holding her, and then make her lunch (one egg scrambled, toast, and a clementine).

I clean Kate, change her diaper, wash more dishes, and we put some laundry away together.

1:00 Tom comes home for lunch.  Kate creates masterpieces while he eats.

Tom goes back to work.  I clean Kate up and clean up the mess in the kitchen (it's amazing how much time I spend cleaning the kitchen).

2:00 we leave to pick Tyler up from school and bring him to the Cable Access studio where he is training right now.  Of course Kate falls asleep.

2:30 we are home.  I let Kate sleep in the carseat for another ten minutes.  Then she has a temper tantrum for a bit.

I make cookies.  Kate thinks they are delicious; I agree.



We read books.

3:20 the bus arrives.  Reagan tries one of my cookies and declares it delicious; Collin won't even try it.  He says they look gross.
I love their static filled hair from just taking off their hats!  AND, you have to love Collin's face in reference to my cookies!

All three kids play together for a little while and then Collin plays on the ipad while Reagan plays on mightybooks.com.

Most days they would start homework, but today is a Friday.  Typically, Reagan goes to dance on Friday nights, but Tom is taking the three big kids to a PC hockey game.

I make dinner.

4:30 Kate, Reagan, and I eat.  Collin is banking on eating at the game.

Tom arrives home followed shortly after by Tyler and they all head out to the game.

5:00 Kate has a bath.

We play until 5:40ish when we head upstairs for the bedtime routine (sleep sack, books, I hold her in my arms while the ocean soother music plays, sing "Sweet Dreams and Jelly Beans" to her when the soother stops, put her down, cover her with her owl blanket, and turn on the seahorse soother).  I'm worried that her sleep may be off, but fortunately she goes right to sleep.

6:00 and the house is quiet for now...until everyone gets home!  I'm ending this post here, but sometime soon I hope to write a post about what happens after Kate goes to bed on a normal night!

4 comments:

MaryAnne said...

Busy day!!!

I remember visiting my mom once when my parents had only my three youngest siblings home (11, 14, and 17 I think) and spending ALL day JUST cleaning the kitchen.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this day in the life post!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Wow, life is so busy for you. My life at work seems just peachy in comparison. School starts rather late in MA, our school starts at 8:10!

Ticia said...

Public school for elementary starts at 7:45 staggering its way up after that.

I felt tired just reading your day.