Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Few Things

I made cookies for the track team.  Tyler requested chocolate chip and white chocolate macadamia nut.  I think I over-mixed the batter for the chocolate chip cookies because they came out weird.  The white chocolate macadamia nut cookies were REALLY good.

I almost always have m&m candies in the house, but I have replaced them with these Unreal candy coated chocolates.  They don't have any artificial ingredients, corn syrup, GMOs, etc.  I found them at Target; Reagan and I both think they taste better than m&m candies!  I am making an effort to cut out artificial dyes in our food.  It is derived from petroleum; that is gross.  I actually have a plan to go through my cabinets and throw out everything that has artificial colors in it - sprinkles, Jello, and whatever else I find.  I don't think we have too much.  I plan on taking a picture and posting it.

Kate has three teeth coming in at the same time in addition to a nose that won't stop running.  She had some trouble sleeping, but is doing better.  The constant stream of green mucous is kind of gross.


I am now working on the color orange with Kate.  I filled a bin with orange things for her to enjoy.

She made her first collage yesterday!  I taped a piece of contact paper, sticky side out, to the sliding glass door and gave her little pieces of orange crepe paper streamers, orange pom poms, and orange foam stickers to stick on the contact paper.  She did this for the longest time.


Collin missed four days of school last week with this awful virus.  He still has a cough, but should be able to go back to school on Tuesday.  I'm happy it's a long weekend.


6 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I think I'd have to throw away most of what's in our cupboards to get rid of all the artificial coloring in the house - I hope that's an exaggeration, but it seems like it's in everything...and you're right - yuck!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It's great that you are focusing on eating healthier. Sorry that Collin has been sick for so long - I am happy about long weekend too!

Anonymous said...

Those unreal candies sound so much better! Those cookies totally made me crave some cookies!

Ticia said...

You know I tried signing up for the emails because I don't always remember to check my bookmarks, and I must have done it wrong. Oh well, now I can just read it in great big blocks :)

A friend of mine brought over those M&Ms and they're really good. I need to try getting some too, but have to work through our massive bag of the old ones first......

Sherri said...

Oh my goodness! I love Kate's collage! GREAT IDEA FROM A GREAT MOM! I have been trying to eat better and feed my kids better for a year now...I have so far to go! I love making them treats..but they aren't good for them...it's tough! I love the idea of starting with artificial coloring! So does that mean all my food coloring has to go? I love color...but I don't love PETROLEUM!

MaryAnne said...

I think your color bins are so cool!

I am trying to eliminate all of our artificial dyes, too. We don't eat many, fortunately. I had wondered about the UNREAL candy - good to know you like it.

Trader Joe's sells gummi bears imported from France with no artificial dyes. Love those!