Saturday, January 26, 2013

Goodbye Food Dye


This is what I removed from my cabinets in an effort to rid our kitchen of artificial food dyes.  I did keep liquid food coloring, a few boxes of Jello, and packets of Kool Aid but those will be used for art projects not for consumption!

This was hard for me.  I like to make fun food for the kids and for years these nasty things have helped, BUT I know that I can still make fun food without any of this and my kids will be much better off.

I do want to note that I have no intention of denying my kids treats at birthday parties or school functions.  I am trying to get it out of our house to minimize the amount they consume, but I will allow them to enjoy an OCCASIONAL treat when they are out somewhere.

2 comments:

Ticia said...

A friend of mine did the same thing a few years ago and she swears it is so helpful.
I toy with the idea occasionally, but we don't really get all that much wiht food dye.

MaryAnne said...

I'm pretty convinced that food dye affects Johnny especially. We never had much of it, but a few months ago I started going out of my way to avoid it. If you live near Trader Joe's, they sell gummi bears from France that don't have any artificial dyes in them - and they taste good!