Friday, October 11, 2013

Cosmic Sun Catchers

I saw the idea for "cosmic sun catchers" in a link posted on Facebook and knew it would be the perfect activity for Reagan and Ellie.  Ellie lives next door, and her dad leaves for work very early every morning, so she comes here before school each day.  Reagan and Ellie like to do crafts in the morning.  This was easy enough for a before school activity.

I often keep plastic lids for activities, so I let the girls each use three lids to make their own sun catchers.  First, they each filled a lid with Elmer's school glue.

Then they added a few drops of food coloring (less is more with this craft; I found that one drop of each color for a total of four drops is just right), and used toothpicks to swirl the food coloring without over-mixing.

Here is one that Reagan made.  Isn't it gorgeous?  I think the end result is great, but I really love the way it looks at this stage of the process.

We left them to dry for three whole days!  Once they were dry, they peeled right off of the lids.


I had to cut off the edges to make them look prettier, and then I punched a hole in each of them and hung them in front of our sliding glass door.


Pretty and easy = the best kind of crafts!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun memory to get to do crafts before school with her friend! I think these turned out so neat!!

Sherri said...

I really really love these...I can't believe you are able to fit crafts in before school??? How ???? Amazing! Your full of magic! :)

Susana said...

I think the boys would enjoy making these and hanging in them in our school room windows. They are really pretty!

You are so sweet and thoughtful to do this with your neighbor before school. You'll be blessed for this act of selflessness.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is a great craft to do, and we have to try it here. I find it amusing that Reagan and Ellie can craft in the morning. We are out the door at 7:45 am, and Anna is definitely not in a crafty mood at this hour!