Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Marshmallow Paint

I came across this marshmallow paint a while ago, but I have been putting off trying it because I expected it to be a flop.  I'm happy to report that I was wrong; it was a HUGE success!  We will definitely do this again.
The paint was easy to make; it only took me a few minutes.  I thought it might be sticky and difficult to use as paint, but it was not.  I even tried finger painting with it, and it felt like regular paint.  The paint does dry a little tacky, but who cares!  The colors are bright and fun, and this paint is even edible.




I had to try this for myself; here is my art:

Reagan painted the following:



This flower is my favorite painting she created.

The following two works of art were painted by Kate:


Collin wasn't interested in painting, but he did taste the paint.  He gave it two thumbs up for deliciousness!

Here are the directions copied from Smart School House:

You will need:
  • Marshmallows (I used the mini kind because they’re easier to measure)
  • Water
  • Light Corn Syrup
  • Food coloring
  • Water color paint brushes
  • Paper
To make the melted Marshmallow Paint:
  • Put 1 cup of mini marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl and microwave them for 30 seconds. The marshmallows will expand (it’s really cool actually).
  • Add 1/4 cup of water to the microwaved marshmallows. Stir the water into the marshmallows. The marshmallows will continue to melt.
  • Put the mixture in the microwave again for 30 more seconds.
  • Add 3 table spoons of light corn syrup to the marshmallow water mixture and stir it in really well.
  • Microwave it again for 30 seconds.
  • Stir it together until all of the marshmallows are melted and mixed well with the corn syrup.
  • Let it cool just a tad and then separate it into different containers
  • Using a little food coloring, make whatever colors you desire! I used craft popsicle sticks to stir up our paint colors.
  • Let the marshmallow paint cool for a minute or so before handing them off to your kids. 

1 comment:

Sherri said...

You really do have the best kid activities! I can't keep up ...i try to remember them all...and my brain fails me! :)
This is super fun1