Tuesday, January 7, 2014

This Cold is for the Birds!

I crack myself up sometimes, like with the title of this post.  I know it's not funny to anyone else, but to me it is funny.  Just like this little thing I saw recently:

"When someone tells me to STOP, I always wonder if it's 1. In the name of love, 2. Hammer Time, or to 3. Collaborate and listen".

I laughed and laughed when I read that, but I think I'm alone.  That's okay.  I'm happy to be easily humored.

Anyway, back to the birds.  When it's cold outside (single digits with below zero wind chill), I feel bad for the birds.  They are just so little and exposed.  I did hear recently that their body temperatures average 105 degrees, so I guess they are warmer than we are, but still it is just so cold out right now and the ground is frozen making it difficult for them to find food.

This morning, before school, we made our first bird feeders of the season to help them a bit.  Collin and Kate spread peanut butter on paper towel rolls (cut in half) and then rolled them in bird seed.





We placed the feeders on branches in our yard.  We will keep an eye on them, and add more when needed.

4 comments:

MaryAnne said...

I can't believe how cold your winter has been this year!

Sherri said...

HaaHaaHaa! Just for the record...you crack me up too!

Ticia said...

That comment cracks me up too, so you are not alone.

It's been a cold winter everywhere.

Anonymous said...

I 3rd that you are not alone.. I too think of one of those 3 songs when someone says stop! I am sure the birds are loving your feeder. I filled up our bird feeder this week :-)