Monday, May 18, 2009

Massachusetts


We are celebrating our home state of Massachusetts as part of our book tour of the United States. We started by reading one of our favorite books, Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey. Last summer we spent a few days in Boston and enjoyed visiting the Make Way for Ducklings statues and riding on the swan boats in the public garden so this book has become part of a memory of a great trip.

Crayola has great coloring pages for all of the states. We colored the Massachusetts page and talked about the facts noted on the page.

We also found Massachusetts on several different maps of the United States, added our Massachusetts quarter to our state quarters map, and enjoyed Boston Baked Beans!

Our next stop is New York because we will be visiting New York City in a few weeks.


We will be visiting all fifty states via children's literature so if you have any good book recommendations, I would love to hear them!

3 comments:

DairyQueen said...

oh my goodness! that is so neat! wouldn't it be fun if we could visit all 50 states over the course of several years as part of the study?!

If you ever come to GA, let me know! We'll put you up (although there's nothing terribly fascinating near us).

I can't wait to see what all you come up with - please tell us lots of details!

Lynn said...

I recently did a post about Boston kids books, and I mentioned three books, and you mentioned two of the three here (the other is a Red Sox-related one). We just moved from Boston last year. It's such a great town; I miss it and am a little sad that my son won't get the benefit of growing up there.

Peterson Party said...

Love this idea! I wanted to start introducing the states to my little one - what a great way to do it.