Thursday, May 21, 2009

Yo-yo painting

WARNING: THIS IS MESSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE HAD PAINT ALL OVER THE DECK AND THE SLIDING GLASS DOORS.
What do you get when you combine beans, nylons, paint, and a couple of kids? Yo-yo painting, of course. I got this idea from The Snail's Trail and it was so much fun. I cut the legs off of a pair of nylons and put about a cup of dried beans in each leg. I tied a knot right above the beans to keep them in the stockings. C and R loved that they bounced up and down like yo yos, but C preferred to call his a slingshot. He wanted to pretend that he was David defeating Goliath.
They bounced the stockings into a pan of paint and then onto large pieces of paper. This works best if you just dip it into the paint once and then drop it on the paper a few times. If you use a lot of paint (constantly dipping in the paint) then you don't really get the cool design made by the beans in the stocking.

*If you look at the screen door in the first photo, you can see our puppy. She had a cone on her head because she was spayed a few days before the photo was taken and the cone was to keep her from chewing or licking the staples.

6 comments:

kw said...

That is awesome! I love the David and Goliath slingshot comment. Too cute! These turned out great. ;o)

Annette W. said...

Go David!! haha!

Yes, we do love comments...thanks for leaving them so frequently!

Jennifer said...

It looks like a lot of fun, and a lot of mess. I think we will try ours in the grass.

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

Cute blog pic...You lost a superhero though! :)
The yoyo paining turned out REALLY cool!

Christy Killoran said...

I couldn't convince my 12 year old to put on a superhero costume! I'm probably going to be updating the pic soon.

Christy Killoran said...

I should have done this in the grass but I did use washable paint and it cleaned up easily with the hose.