Sunday, May 24, 2009

Tot school & Growth chart day 4

Tot School
I bought this cute teddy bear puzzle months ago from the dollar section at Target. While the puzzle is really easy, what I really love about it is the different expressions on the faces. R loves to dress the bear in different outfits and then I will ask her if the bear is happy, sad, angry, sleepy, surprised, or ill.



We planted sunflower seeds and read Big Yellow Sunflower by Frances Barry. R hates to get her hands dirty and she was not thrilled with this activity at all. Hopefully, she will get excited about it when the sunflower starts to grow. I know it is my fault that she doesn't like to get dirty because I do not like to get dirty either and I am embarrassed to admit that I do not do yard work.



I cut out pictures of fruits and vegetables from a grocery circular and R sorted them into one pile for fruits and one pile for vegetables. Then she glued the vegetables onto the letter V.




Since I put the magna doodles and magnetic boards up on the lovely paneled (circa 1978) wall, they get a lot more use. I used Scotch Reclosable Fasteners (like velcro) to hang them so that they can also be removed to take in the car. I got the idea to hang them from Jennifer at My Two Happy Homeschoolers.




We measured a cup of penne and a cup of rigatoni in straight lines and were amazed by the difference in length. Check out my post if you want to learn more.






Cranium Hullabaloo is a favorite in our house and we play a lot.






The potato heads were played with every day this week.





We put some "Magic Creatures" in water and charted their "growth". Today is day 4 and the caterpillar has doubled in size to 6", the fish grew another 1/2" to 4 1/2", and the lizard grew another 1 1/2" to 12". The butterfly only grew one day and has remained at 3" since then. C and R are still excited about measuring the creatures every morning.



Thanks for visiting!

5 comments:

Denise said...

Fun week! I really like the "Magic Creatures" growth chart activity. I'll be using that!

DairyQueen said...

looks like fun!

it's amazing how putting something somewhere unexpected makes it so fun again!

I wish I'd seen that bear puzzle at the $ spot!!

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

DANG! I missed that puzzle! I like it...bummer

Michelle said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun this week! I like the "Magic Creatures" I'll have to look for some of them to do with Emily. I am also going to get out our Mr. Potato Heads it has been awhile since she played with them!

Ticia said...

Princess has that same puzzle, and loves it! We have that one and the Melissa and Doug version.