Thursday, May 14, 2009

Who are we?




I love reading blog posts that give me some insight into the blogger and her (all of the blogs I read are written by women) family so I thought I would share a little about who we are. (I am always behind the camera and couldn't find a decent photo of myself. I'll have to start letting my husband use the camera a little, maybe.)

I grew up in New Bedford, MA and went to Emerson College in Boston. I always thought I would live in CA and work in public relations but that never happened. The study of law intrigued me and I ended up in law school. That's a good thing because I met my husband there. We practiced law together for a few years and believe it or not we worked really well together. I love my husband and honestly never minded spending the entire day with him. My husband still practices law but I am a stay at home mom. I did teach one class at a law school this year but it was only a few hours a week.

Our oldest child, T, is a sixth grader and will be 12 this month. He is a good student and loves sports. T plays soccer, basketball, and baseball. T also loves Wii and XBox and hanging out with his friends. We don't allow television or video games on school days.

C will be 5 in August. He also loves sports and just started playing tee ball this year. C is obsessed with superheroes and has been from a young age. It was inevitable because T is 7 years older than him and C was interested in everything his older brother liked.

R turned 3 in March. She is the ultimate girly girl; she loves everything pink and purple, pocketbooks, sparkly things, princesses, fairies, mermaids, and SHOES! Oh how she loves shoes and asks to go shoe shopping all the time!

I love teaching my children but we will not be homeschooling exclusively. T has attended public school since Kindergarten and C and R will also. We are lucky to have good public schools in our town. I do, however, consider myself to be the first teacher for my children and learning will always go on at home. Honestly, I consider my children to be community learners. I do my best to find as many educational opportunities for them as possible. We visit museums, hike nature trails, attend concerts and plays, explore the zoo, and try to learn about the world around us. When my children are interested in a subject, we explore it as much as possible. I will not be their only teacher but I will always be responsible for ensuring that my children learn as much as possible and become educated members of the community.

I hope I didn't bore you to tears!

4 comments:

Homeschool Friend said...

giggles....I was not bored to tears AT ALL!

VERY interesting!

It's so nice to know more about you and your family!!!!

I'm all girly girl like your daughter....If only I had the money to go shoe shopping as often as I'd like!!

Homer Price by Robert McCloskey has a story/chapter in it about a "Supermam". It's a great book for young children. He might like it.

I liked hearing about how you handle video games. That's basically what we do although right now we are on a 90 day challenge. (No video games and no videos)

That's wonderful that you are such an involved mother and care so much about your children's education!! That's terrific that you have a good school system too! Your children are so blessed to have the best of both worlds!

I'll remember you if I have any lawyer type questions!!!

Thanks for sharing! It was so nice to get to know you more!

Ticia said...

Didn't bore me at all. It's good to know more about you and your family.

Gidget Girl Reading said...

great post! wow you were a lawyer! :) how cool! I was just a Prek teacher for ever and was going to college to great my degree when i could pay for classes! I will finish up the Early Childhood Education degree one day! :)

sorry this post got long!

Lynn said...

Thanks for the glimpse at your lovely family. (I'm a SAHM-mom-now lawyer too!).