Monday, May 4, 2009

Mister Seahorse by Eric Carle


We love Eric Carle and have many of his books in our collection. In this fact-based book, Mr. Seahorse meets other kinds of fish fathers caring for their eggs and babies in different ways. The book is wonderful in so many ways. My only complaint is that Mr. Bullhead tells Mr. Seahorse that he is babysitting his babies. I have always been bothered by the term "babysitting" when it is applied to fathers; fathers do not babysit their own children! So, I just replace the word "babysitting" with "caring for my babies". I still recommend the book. It is nice to read about fathers taking care of their babies and the book is beautiful.


C and R love Eric Carle's collage illustrations and the acetate pages that camouflage different sea creatures. They were very excited to make their own ocean pictures. I drew the seahorse on the back of a cereal box. C used dot markers to color his and R used Rollit paints to color hers. They then looked through the book and decorated the background based on what they saw.

They both liked one of the acetate pages that had reeds hiding some fish. C and R used some of our leftover Easter grass for the reeds. They drew fish behind the reeds. They had a lot of fun making these pictures.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I left you an award at my blog: http://mytwohappyhomeschoolers.blogspot.com/2009/05/couple-awards-to-give-away.html

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I hate the babysitting father, too. You only babysit if you're a paid caretaker. I don't usually pay my husband!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

those are super cute seahorses!

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

Thank you for taking the time for such a wonderful blog with so many ideas and resources! If you don't already have it, I hope you will accept the Premio Dardos Award. http://iheartfrutopia.blogspot.com/2009/05/wow-thank-you.html

Sandy said...

I love these! They look great:0)