Friday, June 5, 2009

The Important Book


Excerpt: "The important thing about grass is that it is green. It grows, and is tender, with a sweet grassy smell. But the important thing about grass is that it is green."

After reading The Important Book by Margaret Wise Brown, C and R wrote about things that are important to them. We used the book as a model and followed the format. I asked them to think of things that they think are important and then I would say, "The important thing about" and let them fill in the rest.

C: The important thing about Spiderman is that he is cool. He slings webs and climbs walls. But the important thing about Spiderman is that he is cool.

The important thing about dogs is that they are soft. They growl. Dogs like to play with you. But the important thing about dogs is that they are soft.

R: The important thing about princesses is pink. Magical wands. Glass slippers. Rings. Crowns. But the important thing about princesses is pink.

The important thing about The Wizard of Oz is ruby slippers. Toto. Tin Man. Scarecrow. Wicked Witch. Flying monkeys. The Munchkins and Glinda. Dorothy. The Wizard. But the important thing about The Wizard of Oz is ruby slippers.

Now, do you see why I titled this blog Superheroes and Princesses?

8 comments:

DairyQueen said...

that is priceless!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

I love that, they are soo cute about their important things! I'm getting that book from the library and doing that! I'll link back to you!

hope your having a blast on your vacation!

Homeschool Friend said...

This is a fabulous post! I'm linking to it right now as I just posted the same book!!!!

I LOVE your writing activity...We are sooooo doing that!

Thanks for sharing!

Valerie said...

Great post! Don't you just love "The Important Book"?

I am a former classroom teacher (3rd Grade) and we did a similar writing activity in Writer's Workshop, but also in Math Class.

Sort of like this...

The important thing about triangles is that it has 3-sides. Their sides can form obtuse angles. Their sides can form right angles. But the important thing about triangles is that they have 3-sides.

These books got quite complicated when describing squares, rectangles, and quadrilaterals, but my kiddos were able to do it!

So great to meet you! I am looking forward to following your blog. If you have a moment to drop by please do so at "My Curious Kids". (I have more than one blog.)

Blessings to you from Kansas,
Valerie

Anonymous said...

Somehow I keep missing this book. Thank you so much for the reminder. I just now ordered it from the library. What a great book extension idea. I can't wait to try it with Cate.

Ticia said...

I tagged you for 6 unimportant things :).

Denise said...

Great activity to get the kids thinking!

Unknown said...

Great books!