Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Rhode Island and the Big Blue Bug


If you are not from the Rhode Island area, you might be wondering what the state has to do with a big blue bug. His name is "Nibbles Woodaway" and he is a model of a big blue termite on the roof of the New England Pest Control building. He can be seen from the highway just south of Providence and my children love him. He is 58 feet long (the biggest bug in the world) and is often dressed up for the holidays. C and R love his blinking nose and antlers at Christmas time!

Nibbles is so famous that he made it into the Rhode Island alphabet book, R is for Rhode Island Red. We have been reading the book this week as we learn about the state of Rhode Island as part of our fifty states project.

We had to do a Nibbles craft, of course, so we made termite masks that we found here. I felt guilty printing up the masks from a rival pest control company but New England Pest Control doesn't have anything similar and it was just easier to print the pages and let C and R color them than making our own.

So, here are my big blue bugs:

If you are interested in reading about the other states we have learned about, click here.

5 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

oh how cute! you know we have to do Rhode Island my oldest says we have to make a ghost for TAPS! :) goofy girl!

I love the big blue bug!!!!!

Sheena said...

I love your new blog facelift! Did you do it yourself or did you have someone do it for you? I want to personalize mine so bad, but I don't know how and don't have the time to do it just quite yet.

Annette W. said...

That's one big bug!

I LOVE the new header and layout!

DairyQueen said...

too cute!! I still have a package with a some GA and a bit of SC stuff in it, but I have had an extra child all week and haven't even done laundry, much less gotten to the post office! Soon I hope...

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

You laughed at number 9..which I admit you and Dairy Queen made me think of LOL BUT YOU didn't guess the quote....if you dont' get it I'll be disappointed!