Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Acorn craft

Acorns are all over the ground here so we just had to do an acorn craft. I began by drawing a large acorn on the back of a cereal box. Luckily, I was not concerned with perfection because I am lacking drawing ability.

Next, C and R searched the button box for brown buttons. We glued the buttons on to make the cap of the acorn.

Then, C and R tore brown construction paper into small pieces.


They glued the torn paper onto the bottom part (nut) of the acorn.


C colored green grass and a blue sky with dark clouds in the background.


R used scissors to cut fringe along the bottom of her page. This was her grass, and it was all her idea. I was impressed.



We also read one of our favorite Autumn books: Count Down to Fall by Fran Hawk. I have seen this book mentioned on a lot of blogs, but if you are not familiar with it, you should definitely request it from the library. There are so many great learning opportunities in this one book and it is a fun read too!

12 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

we love acorns too! those turned out adorable!:)

Susana said...

I love these acorns! This is a fun craft and turned out great. Great pictures too.

I'll have to look for this book, we've never read it.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Great craft, and how creative of R to make her own grass with cutting.

Our Little Family said...

Those turned out SO cute!! I don't think Maddie's ever seen an acorn. We'll have to look for that book (and acorns!).

Anonymous said...

Hey, Christy! Thanks so much for posting about the Sylvan Dell fall release Count Down to Fall. We're so glad you liked it! And what a wonderful activity with your kids :)

Jenny said...

Those are cute. Great idea!

Tara Broman said...

These turned out super cute!

Mandy said...

C looked thrilled with his project.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

I love how these turned out! We love acorns around here, and Emily is always picking up new acorns to stuff in her pockets. I keep finding them mixed with the laundry when I do the wash! Great book recommendation too!

Julie said...

These are great! I may have to see if I have enough brown buttons to do something like this.

Lynn said...

Very cute! Our little guy loves gluing down bits of paper like that lately too (you might see that on our blog if I EVER get caught up on posting!).

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Yes! I like the acorns!

And, no my house is not always "that clean" - I just try not to photograph the mess :)