Monday, November 2, 2009

The WaterFire Duck


We live in Massachusetts, but we are very close to Providence, Rhode Island. WaterFire is a very popular event in Rhode Island. People travel from all over the world to enjoy the beauty and music. In 1994, a sculpture was installed on the three rivers of downtown Providence and one hundred bonfires are lit by firetenders who travel in torch-lit gondolas filled with firewood. It is a wonderful sensory experience. My children have not been yet, but I hope to take them next summer, especially now that we have read, The WaterFire Duck.

If you are unable to experience WaterFire firsthand, this new book is just perfect for anyone interested in learning about the state of Rhode Island. The WaterFire Duck by Kiki Latimer and Bunny Griffeth is the story of a little duck in search of her song. She travels the waters of Rhode Island searching for people, music, fires, and dance. The book is wonderfully written with illustrations that bring truly allow you to visit Rhode Island as you turn the pages. I love that it captures the beauty of the state over the course of the year with summer weeds, fall foliage, winter snow, and spring flowers.

I definitely recommend this book, and if you ever find yourself in Rhode Island, be sure to check out WaterFire.

The publisher is donating a portion of all sales to support WaterFire Providence. For more information about WaterFire, please visit www.waterfire.org.

6 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

they do that here every year around christmas time and it is pretty from what i hear i hope one year its not so bitter cold so we can do it!!!

thanks for the book I'm requesting it now at the library!

hope C and T are ok! email me

Ticia said...

That looks like a fun book. I'm so raiding your site once we get more serious about our 50 states study.

Susana said...

I have never heard of Waterfire or this book.

I hope you do get to go in the summer. I know your family would enjoy it and learn alot too.

Thanks for sharing this book. I hope to find it to share with Joe.

Mama King said...

Thanks for the review. I had never heard of it.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

I have never heard of WaterFire! I'm so glad you posted about this... I'm so intrigued to check out that book, thank you!!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Fascinating. I have visited Rhode Island once when I was still living in NJ. It's so tiny :) I wish I knew about Waterfire then. I'll definitely keep this book in mind for when we are more serious about geography.