Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Hand Print Turkeys

We really love the book, Setting the Turkeys Free by W. Nikola-Lisa. In the story, a young boy makes hand print turkeys and decorates them with paper, sequins, toothpicks, feathers, and more. He loves the turkeys and they take on a life of their own. So, what will happen when Foxy the fox comes around? Don't worry, this boy has a plan to protect his turkeys.

How can you read this book and not make hand print turkeys? C and R made hand print turkeys using Crayola Air Dry Clay. I traced their hands on paper and then traced the hand prints onto the clay.

Once the clay hand prints were dry, they painted them to look like turkeys.


We added a little glitter, some jewels, a googly eye, and a foam beak.

Our turkeys are pretty fancy!

13 comments:

Susana said...

Oh, I LOVE these! We may make these this week too!! They are sooooo cute and such a special keepsake too. I love the way they decorated them.

You should seal them with sealer so they will always be preserved and shiny.

Gidget Girl Reading said...

Great turkeys I love that you used Clay!! :) that book is so cute

Mama King said...

Now that is what I call a Turkey! My girls are all about the glitter and bling! Love them :-)

Jenny said...

I love how these turned out! How cool that they are made with clay!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is a great keepsake. I am thinking of a Christmas tree ornament :) We read this book too and made turkeys, but ours are just paper. I keep looking at that clay in the store and keep telling myself that it's too early.

Ticia said...

I so need to find that book it looks like so much fun.

Cindy said...

These are so cute. This would be a great project to do this weekend. Thanks.

silly eagle books said...

We read this one too and spent every day that week making handprint turkeys! Such a great book!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

They are fancy, indeed! How fun!!! I just got a bunch of turkey/Thanksgiving themed books from the library, and Emily cannot wait to read them. :-)

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

supercute! those are fancy turkeys! :)

jennwa said...

I love that turkey. That is a great way to decorate them. I also want to check out that book.
Thanks for sharing.

Amanda said...

VERY fancy :) and adorable!

Monica Lasich said...

I am a stay at home mother of 6 and have created a mess free and goof proof Prints by Mail kit to make boutique quality heirloom ceramic keepsakes such as ornaments, plaques, windchimes, vases, frames, and stepping stones. My blog is http://www.handprintlady.blogspot.com and my mail order etsy site is http://www.etsy.com/shop/handprintlady feel free to stop by and ask any questions!