Friday, May 20, 2011

Patriotic Play Dough Made with Kool Aid


I love to make Kool Aid play dough for the kids.  It smells so good, the color is vibrant, it's easy to make, and the recipe makes a lot.  It's funny - we use Kool Aid drink mix to make play dough and paint, but I don't think my kids know that it is a drink mix!

With Memorial Day coming up, I thought it would be fun to make some patriotic play dough.  The dough is red and I added white, silver, and blue glitter.  Here is how I made it:

2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup salt
3 small packages of cherry Kool Aid unsweetened drink mix (3.6 grams each package)
3 TBSP oil
2 cups boiling water
glitter


Directions:


1.  Mix together flour, salt, Kool Aid powder, and oil.





2.  Add boiling water and mix until the dough is cool enough to touch.  (Can you smell the cherry Kool Aid through the screen?  Seriously, this play dough smells SO good!)



3.  Add glitter (I began with blue and white glitter, but the white glitter did not show up so I added silver.  I like to add a lot of glitter.) and knead until smooth.



*Store in an airtight container or Ziploc bag in the fridge.  This recipe should last through Memorial Day and the 4th of July!

I put this out with star cookie cutters and rolling pins, but we have a lot of play dough tools that the kids are always free to use.


*People always ask me how to avoid getting dye all over their hands from homemade play dough.  I have found that if you mix the color (or in this case, the Kool Aid drink mix) with all of your ingredients before adding boiling water or cooking (depending on the recipe), the color stays with the dough and does not transfer.

14 comments:

Amanda said...

We have yet to do KoolAid playdough but I love this! I think we may have to try a new recipe. Thanks!

MaryAnne said...

Very cool play dough!

I add the color to the boiling water and it doesn't transfer. I think the key is having it meet the boiling water at some point?

Ticia said...

Maybe I'll break down and make it soon......

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

If it weren't for VBS, I don't think my kids would know it was a drink a either.

Brimful Curiosities said...

KoolAid as a drink is not on my kids' radar, either! :) Great play dough idea.

Susana said...

Great idea! Kool-Aid play doh is my favorite homemade kind b/c of the smell. And, yes, I always mix my dye in with the liquid before it cooks to avoid getting dye on our hands too. I've tried mixing it in after while it's cooling and don't like it as much.

Love the glitter!

Unknown said...

I LOVE how the kook aid playdoh smells too! LOVE it!

This is great! I would LOVE to have you share this at my For the Kids Link Party! Stop on by and join the fun!

http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/05/for-kids-friday-11.html

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Koolaid playdoh looks like fun! Perhaps I need to add it to my summer bucket too!

Jenny said...

Yes, I love the smell of Kool-Aid playdough! I haven't made any in awhile, but I might have to soon!

Debbie said...

I am with Leah, I don't even think Selena has ever tasted KoolAid except at church, and she wasn't real fond of it.

Susana said...

That blog virtual tip jar is a fun idea! I love that! But...I just tried to support it and it said that your Google shopping cart has errors in it, thought you might want to know so you can fix it. I love that idea though!

Kelly said...

Great idea for memorial day! We've done kool-aid playdough before, but never for a holiday like this. Thanks for the tip about the stained hands too!
Little Wonders' Days

Anonymous said...

Love it!! I need to get on the memorial theme this year!! My BIL is in boot camp right now and I know he would love to hear all about it!

Unknown said...

I love kool-aid playdough. It smells terrific and it's so easy to make. Love the idea of adding the glitter!