Monday, September 19, 2011

Petals, Leaves, and Contact Paper


On Friday, I was sitting on the couch snuggling with K when I realized that some of the flowers we received earlier in the week were wilting.  I thought it would be fun to tape up some clear contact paper and let C and R stick the petals and leaves on to make some pretty sun catcher art when they came home from school.  It wouldn't take much effort on my part, so I could definitely manage that type of project while caring for a newborn.

Sure.

After they had snack, I taped the clear contact paper onto our sliding glass door with the sticky part out.



Then I gave them the flowers and told them they could use the petals and leaves to create whatever kind of art they wanted.


Directions given,  Artwork started.  Easy.

R put these petals together to look like a butterfly!

Then, K had her first diaper blowout which caused great excitement (C, R, and Kelly all had to see what happened).  The doorbell rang.  I told the kids not to answer the door without me, but R "didn't hear me".  (We later went over rules regarding answering the door, but it was just neighborhood kids!)  When R opened the door, the dog ran out.  I was in the middle of cleaning the baby.  C declared the project boring.  The baby was crying.  The dog was still outside.  Luckily, our dog doesn't take off and the kids were able to get her back in the house without much difficulty.  The chaos of the situation was pretty funny after everything calmed down, but a bit unsettling while it was happening!

The artwork looks pretty though!  When C and R declared it complete, I covered it with another sheet of contact paper to keep everything in place.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a perfect way to use some flowers that were wilting!!

Ticia said...

Sounds like some of my days. It still looks very cute to me :)

Julie said...

I've given up telling the kids not to answer the door because 99% of the time it's the neighborhood kids. They're pretty good about not answering if it's an adult at the door (our door has a big window so they can see who it is). I love the artwork! I'm now regretting throwing away the flowers we had last week.

Debbie said...

I thought we would have a problem with Selena about opening the door when someone knocked, so far she is pretty good at waiting to let me tell her if it is alright. Now to train her to NOT just open the door and let the dog out.

Debbie said...

I meant to add the art project looks great! I am going to remember this for when we get pretty flowers.

Kelly said...

Very pretty project. I'm glad you still have your sense of humor!
Little Wonders' Days

Susana said...

The flower craft turned out pretty--a very good idea.

HaHa! I was LOL while I read this. Christy, this is still an almost every day crazy around here--I'll just call it our normal :-).

Hope you are having a wonderful Monday!

MaryAnne said...

That butterfly is STUNNING! I am so impressed that R put it together all by herself!

Gotta love the chaos of life with a newborn!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

LOL on the commotion, but I guess this is going to be a new norm for a while. R's butterfly is quite spectacular!

Jenny said...

That sounds like quite a scene! LOL! The flower art is pretty though, good idea!

momandkiddo said...

Ah, the chaos... it's what having kids is all about, really. :)

Jen said...

Oh I love how it turned out! And about your day- oh, it sounds familiar. Some days are just pure craziness and you just have to laugh. Today- little man spilled juice all over his new potty chair, crushed crispix into the rug, threw his tortilla chips at me, and so on....

Sherri said...

This is an excellent idea!
You always have the most creative ideas!