Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Sun Catcher Planets


This week we enjoyed reading Going Around the Sun:  Some Planetary Fun by Marianne Berkes.

The rhyming text follows the model of "Over in the Meadow" and is written as a dialogue between Mother Sun and her planets.  Each page offers interesting facts about the planets as they appear in the book; there is also a section at the end with more solar system facts.

C noticed the page of "Tips from the Illustrator" at the end of the book and just had to make the suggested wax paper sun catcher planets.

He began by peeling and sharpening crayons in the colors he would need.



He then placed the crayon shavings between two pieces of wax paper.  I put an old towel over the wax paper and pressed a warm iron on top to melt the crayon between the pieces of wax paper.



Then I cut out planet shapes from the wax paper melted crayon "sandwiches" - I guess I forgot to take a picture of this step.


After using a window crayon to draw the sun on our sliding glass door, C taped the planets on the door in order.

We did include Pluto; C remembered that Pluto doesn't stay in line, so he taped the dwarf planet further up on the door.


He loved this activity, and it was a great review of the solar system.  (R was playing with the neighbors when C did this - I'm hoping to do a fall sun catcher craft with her soon using this same method.)

Click here to purchase  Going Around the Sun:  Some Planetary Fun by Marianne Berkes.

13 comments:

Kelly said...

This is great! I'll have to remember this book and activity.
Little Wonders' Days

Anonymous said...

cute! What a fun sun catcher and way to learn the planets!

Brimful Curiosities said...

I've been tempted to try this out ever since I saw it on Almost Unschoolers in August. C's planets turned out very nice!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

They turned out very nice! We still have ours up - they're so pretty in the sun, I can't bring myself to take them down.

MaryAnne said...

That book sounds neat, and I love how your planets turned out!

Sherri said...

I really need to get this moved over with...my kids miss doing activities! At least it is nice to know that they love it as much as I do! =)

Jenny said...

So fun! I like that you included Pluto, I feel sorry for him. :)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fine! It's my first time to come your blog, i was shocked to see this fabulous blog, It is miracles.....Cute pics! Thanks for the share...


Sample Letters

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Oh, crayon craft is perfect for planets. It seems that C really enjoyed this activity. It's great that you could do something 1:1 with him even with a new baby.

Ticia said...

I love the sun and their planets

I guess it shows I'm still not completely awake because for some reason I thought you said peel carrots and I just blinked and stared at it for awhile trying to figure out why that didn't make sense.

Debbie said...

The kids really are enjoying this. I tried it once with Selena, but mine did not turn out quite as nicely.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Great idea! I love visiting your blog to catch up all all the fun things you do w/ the kiddos! :-)

Susana said...

I LOVE this!! He did a great job. They look awesome on the door with that sun he drew!

I always like including Pluto too :-).