Monday, September 24, 2012

She Stands Alone (like the cheese)

Kate just recently started standing on her own.  I was able to capture the process from crouching to standing.



That is a package of sage leaves that she grabbed when I opened the refrigerator door.  I am still wondering why we have toys.

This morning, Kate ate her first bowl of Cheerios with milk.  Until now, she has only had them dry.  She did so well with the spoon and she seems to love Cheerios again.  The last few weeks, she hasn't been interested in the cereal, but the addition of milk made them extra special today.  Other than in her cereal, she has not had any milk to drink.  She does not like the taste at all; she gags and throws the cup to the floor, it is really quite dramatic.  Collin and Reagan were the same way and they still don't drink much milk.  I know previous generations think that cow's milk is an important part of the diet, but it really isn't necessary - there is more calcium in leafy greens; also, the kids all like cheese and yogurt.  I have been mixing blended spinach, strawberries, and yogurt for Kate at lunch time and she thinks it is delicious!

Kate has had a hard time with teething the last week or so.  She has one molar in and a few trying to come in and they certainly make her cranky.  I think she has had more trouble than her siblings.

She is still nursing in the night and has zero interest (probably less than zero) in weaning.  As a matter of fact, when I try to get her back to sleep without nursing, she hits, scratches, thrashes, and throws a fit.  This is all so weird to me because the other three kids weaned so easily without any trouble at all.  I think the nighttime weaning is going to have to be cold turkey and I think it is going to be miserable for Kate and me.

6 comments:

Sherri said...

I agree...who needs toys??
I have packed all the toys away..except a few..and the kids don't even seem to miss them! The are perfectly happy playing with everything that's not a toy!

MaryAnne said...

Kate sounds a lot like Emma with weaning. We had to go cold turkey on nighttime nursing, and Mike had to put her to bed for the first week or so - and get up with her. Night weaning was hard with Johnny, too, but he just got sad - not angry.

Jenny said...

I can't believe she can eat Cheerios and milk already! That's great! Abby liked milk and still does. That's good that she likes yogurt and cheese, though.

Good luck with the night weaning.

Ticia said...

My boys drink crazy a lot of milk, but Wendy not so much.

I think with cheese and yogurt she's getting a lot of the things milk has. Like you said you can get much of it elsewhere, but I still think it's good to have some form of dairy and she is.

Oh and as to the standing: Watch out world!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Poor Kate - I hope the teeth come quickly and she will cheer up. I weaned Anna off at 20 months by sending Lars off with water when she woke up in the middle of the night. One week of grumpy papa, and she decided that it's simply not worth it.

Anonymous said...

yay Kate on standing!! What a fun series of photos! I hope the teething is going better!