Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A is for Apple

We are totally immersed in our letter A fun.

I made apple smiles using sliced apples, a tiny bit of peanut butter, and mini marshmallows.  
Kate and Collin loved them.  Reagan ate the apples and peanut butter and left the marshmallows for her siblings.

I also made homemade play dough and added red food coloring and a lot of cinnamon.

 For fun, I stuck in a twig and a leaf to make an "apple".  Kate immediately removed the stick and leaf and threw them to the floor!  She had fun with the play dough though.

The play dough recipe I use is:
1 c. flour
1/2 c. salt
1 T. cooking oil
1 T. cream of tartar
1 c. water
1 t. extract (this varies on the season or whatever I have on hand, but I have used peppermint, vanilla, lemon, coconut, almond, and maple); you can also use spices (for this recipe, I used about 2-3 tsp of cinnamon; I like it to smell good!)
1 t. glitter (optional)
food coloring (optional - I obviously used red today) 

I measure the ingredients into a nonstick pot and stir until well mixed.  It's important to add food coloring before heating the dough, otherwise the color will transfer to hands and surfaces.  Then I cook it over medium heat until the dough pulls away from the sides and forms a ball.  I dump it out onto a cutting board and once it is cool enough, I knead it until smooth.  I love kneading warm play dough - super soothing!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun! Sammy saw the snack and thought it looked delicious!!

Susana said...

Thank you for the play doh recipe! I can't find mine and want to make apple play doh next week.

Kate looks adorable in all her pics.

The apple smiles are so fun and Collin looks funny! His eyes are sparkling in that picture.

I hope you and Kate have a blast doing fun things together this year!

Sherri said...

Wow!! Kate is one lucky preschooler...she got lots of cool A activities!