Friday, January 27, 2012

Updates on the Big Kids in the House

Yesterday, I realized that I have been writing updates about K weekly and I haven't really added any updates about the big kids in the house.  Since I write this blog mostly for my own record, I want to add more personal updates on a regular basis.

C and R received their midterm reports this week:

R's teacher wrote that R is a quick learner and is very enthusiastic and outgoing.  She also wrote that R has shown a lot of growth in her independent writing; she adds a lot of detail and is a creative thinker.  R recognizes sixty-nine of the eighty Kindergarten sight words.

C's teacher wrote that he works well with others and contributes to activities with enthusiasm.  He is a fluent reader and possesses solid comprehension strategies.  C also has strong math skills and enjoys a challenge.

R is enjoying ice skating, tap, ballet, jazz, and Irish step right now.  She also takes a Spanish class once a week.  I'm actually regretting the Spanish class a bit; R likes it, but it is right after school and she is so tired at the end of the school day.  R loves all of her activities, and I'm proud of her enthusiasm and effort.

C is still playing the piano and taking swimming lessons.  He actually found a mistake in his piano book last week!!!!!!!!  His piano teacher was amazed!  I'm very proud of the way he practices without complaint and works hard at learning each piece of music.

T recently finished reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  He really enjoyed the book and has started the second book in the series, Catching Fire.  T has always been a reader.  I have always loved reading too, but I don't make time for reading as much as I would like to right now.  I do plan on reading The Hunger Games now though.  T is also enjoying working out with a trainer at the gym three times a week.

That's it for now!

5 comments:

Ticia said...

It's fun to hear updates on the older kids too. I've heard so many people really liked The Hunger Games, are you guys planning on seeing the movie together?

Jenny said...

He found a mistake in the piano book?! That is awesome!

That's so great that R is a quick learner. And cool that T is doing workouts with a trainer. I should probably do that! LOL!

MaryAnne said...

It sounds like all three "big" kids are doing great!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Wow, you guys are busy! It's great that both R and C got such glowing progress reports. I am on the fence about Anna's twice weekly Russian class. It seems to me that she is not making any progress, but maybe I am just expecting too much. We'll see.

Sherri said...

It sounds like your house is full of fantastic wonderful talented kids! :)
I LOVE to read as well....and I have just recently started making the time for it! I read the full series of the Hunger Games, and enjoyed them all! Even though I'm not in love with all the killing and torture...it's an easy read that holds the attention!
I have read 2 books since the Hunger Games, and they have not been as easy to enjoy!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK...MOMMA!