Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Around Here

June is always a crazy month, but we have so many fun things to do this month that who cares if it's crazy!  Here's a look at what we had going on recently:

Reagan and I recently read Charlotte's Web.  I have read it with all three of my big kids, and it never gets easier, always brings tears to my eyes.  Reagan and I went to see a stage production of Charlotte's Web at the Zeiterion.  The show was cute, but definitely a little too goofy and not heartwarming enough.  I assume they did that to ease the pain of Charlotte's death for this young audience.

After the show, we went to Not Your Average Joe's and Reagan ordered this gigantic pulled pork sandwich.

Reagan and Collin had field day last week.  The weather was beautiful for a day of outdoor fun.



 Play dough has been the before school activity for these four lately.
Who can resist these play dough treats?

I chaperoned Collin's field trip to the Whaling Museum.  Here he is standing in front of a sperm whale skeleton.  The trip was very educational.  I grew up in New Bedford and always had lessons about the whaling industry and whales, and yet I still learned a lot on this trip.  The thing that I don't remember ever learning before is that the whaling industry is the reason why there are so many Portuguese and Cape Verdean people in the area; often, Quaker men would quit when the ships arrived in the Azores or in Cape Verde, and the captains of the ships would hire young men (kids really) from the Azores or Cape Verde to replace the men that quit.  I'm actually a little embarrassed that I didn't know that; how could I have not learned that?

We went to Lou's 40th birthday party on Saturday.  Tom enjoyed being with a bunch of his college friends.  I enjoyed seeing everyone; they are really a great group of people.  Reagan and Collin had a great time with some of the kids their age, and they really enjoyed the pool and hot tub.  Kate liked the pool too.  The member of our family that had the most fun is definitely Boo.  There were three other dogs there and the yard was surrounded by woods.  Boo LOVED every minute.  He played hard, ate lots of dropped food and one stolen hot dog, and just had a blast.

On Sunday, Reagan competed in a gymnastics meet.  She recently moved up from Rookie to Bronze, and this was her first meet as a member of the Bronze team.

Today, Collin had a 4th grade strings field trip.  They went to two elementary schools to play for the students, and they also went to McDonald's for lunch.

So much more to do and enjoy this month!  Two more weeks of school, a few parties, Father's Day, another field trip, a gymnastics show, and I'm sure there is more!

3 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

It has been busy for you. That pulled pork sandwich is amazing!

Anonymous said...

whew what a month it has been for you! Sounds like you guys had fun!

Sherri said...

Wow!! You guys have been busy!! I love busy! I want to take Luke to that Whale museum! Super cool!!