Saturday, November 6, 2010

city dog, country frog


Last Saturday I wrote about how moved I was by The Wheat Doll.  Here I am again with another book that touched my heart. 

city dog, country frog (the title is not capitalized; I'm trying to not let that bother me as I type it) by Mo Willems is a beautiful book about the friendship between a dog from the city and a frog from the country.  The book begins in the spring with city dog's first experience in the country.  The dog is running free for the first time when he spots a frog on a rock.  They become friends and play country frog games.  In the summer, they play city dog games.  Throughout the book, we see the changes that come with each season both in nature and in the friendship.

city dog, country frog spans five seasons of friendship, but they are not all what you might expect.   This book is perfect for discussing the natural course of friendship, life, and loss.  I would also recommend this book for a child moving to a new place or about to experience something new. 

This really is a special book.  There were pages of this book that made the three of us very emotional.  In my opinion, this is Mo Willems finest work. 

I cannot end this review without mentioning the watercolor illustrations by Jon J. Muth.  They are perfect.  I really don't know what else to say because they are simply perfect.  You could "read" the entire story without actually reading a single word.  Even the colors he chose tell the story, and the expressions on the animals' faces are wonderful. 

I read this book to C and R twice this week.  After the second time, C asked me if he could read it to me.  This is the first time that C has asked to read me a book.  He reads to me every day, but he usually reads books selected by me or his teacher.  He doesn't typically ask to read anything else.  He read the entire book and I am so proud of him.  This book is definitely more difficult than the books he typically reads.  I really think he was moved by the book and wanted to read it himself. 

Tears are falling now!!!  I don't know if it is the story or C's reading, but I'm a bawling mess right now!!!!  

Can you tell that I love this book?  It is heartwarming, beautiful, and truly one of my favorite books. 

I am linking this to What My Child is Reading at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.

11 comments:

Annette W. said...

Oh, Christy, what a wonderful book for such a heartwarming occasion as C reading to you!

Ticia said...

I think I remember someone else mentioning loving this book, and commenting on the same thing.

I'll have to see if I can find it, because it looks great.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Thanks for joining WMCIR! We have this book too, but I don't think that Anna "got" the story line. I agree with you - illustrations are fantastic. How exciting that C chose to read this book to you.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I haven't read this yet - but just the author's preview video, had me in tears!

Brimful Curiosities said...

That one is a tear-jerker. So great that C wants to read it to you. Even my husband insisted on seeing the book after overhearing me read it aloud to the kids.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Isn't it beautiful? I got teary eyed as well this summer when we read it. It especially hit hard as we've had several close friends move away recently.

Jenny said...

Wow, that sounds like an amazing book! I'm so proud of C for reading it to you too!

Mandy said...

i will have to look it up. we are big fans of mo willems.

Phyllis said...

This book sounds wonderful. I have nominated you for an award. Come on over and see...
http://homeschooljournal-bergblog.blogspot.com/

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Wow, I can't wait to check it one out -- it sounds amazing!!

MaryAnne said...

This book sounds wonderful. I love when a talented children's author and illustrator team up to create a work of art with real meaning.