Thursday, November 4, 2010

Coffee Filter Turkey Craft


The Halloween decorations are all put away and it is time to get ready for turkey day!
One of our favorite turkey books is A Plump and Perky Turkey by Teresa Bateman.  The people of Squawk Valley find themselves without a turkey for their Thanksgiving feast, so they decide to advertise for a "model" turkey to pose during a turkey themed arts-and-crafts fair.  Once the model is finished posing, they plan to have him for dinner.  The turkey has other plans!  We love the page of turkeys made out of everything from rope to paper.  This is such a fun read.

We made our own turkeys using coffee filters for feathers.  I gave C and R each a coffee filter and had them color the filters with washable markers.


Once they were done, we went to the sink and I held the colored filter while they each took a turn spraying their own filter with water.


My children love any excuse to use a spray bottle. Once they were done spraying, I placed the damp filters on paper towels to dry.

In the meantime, I cut a turkey head/neck shape out of brown construction paper.  I also cut an orange beak and a red snood out of craft foam.  Then, C and R glued the pieces together and also glued a googly eye on each turkey.


When everything was dry, we glued the turkey heads onto the coffee filter feathers (I folded the coffee filter in half) 
 This is C's turkey

and hung them up on the sliding glass door.

This is R's turkey

I am linking this to stArt at A Mommy's Adventures.

17 comments:

Amanda said...

Very cute! I will have to add them to our to-do list

MaryAnne said...

Very cute! And my kids think any craft involving a spray bottle is fantastic.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Very nice! I love how they look with the sun shining through them.

Anonymous said...

oo love these! I need to take some Halloween decorations down and these will be good replacements :-)

Ticia said...

I love coffee filter crafts.

I need to hunt down my Thanksgiving books.

Jennifer said...

So, this morning...I'm impatiently waiting for my coffee to brew and I'm looking at the stack of coffee filters next to the coffee pot - thinking, "Hmmm....what craft can I make with these..."

And here you are! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Those are adorable and that book sounds great. We will have to look for that one at the library.
Why do kids love spray bottles so much?

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I am itching to paint some coffee filters tonight - we'll figure out what to do with them later :) The book sounds great too.

Unknown said...

Nice craft. You picked a nice spot to hang them up. Thank you for sharing.

RedTedArt said...

Very pretty! I bet the enjoyed squirting the water!

Maggy
Kids Get Crafty

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a really cute book. I love the craft, very nice.

Debbie said...

Very cute! We love coffee filter art too.

Unknown said...

The books sounds wonderful. I will have to look for it.

Charlene Juliani said...

Oooh so doing these, since I have tons and tons of coffee filters and our coffee pot doesn't use them.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

LOVE this!!!!!!!

:-D

Anonymous said...

I just did this with my 4 year old and he LOVED it! Thanks for the idea!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Finally catching up commenting after my busy week. My kids love this book, too!