Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Play Dough


'Tis the season for all things pumpkin, and this play dough smells so good that I could almost eat it.  I used my favorite play dough recipe and added a few drops of red food coloring, doubled that amount for the yellow food coloring, and about 2 TBSP of pumpkin pie spice (smell is important to me, that's why I make homemade play dough).  I always add the food coloring before heating the play dough and I have never had a problem with the dough staining anything (not even our hands).

I gave R a small foil tin so that she could pretend to make pumpkin pie. 

She also found her toy muffin pan and made a few pumpkin muffins. 

C was thrilled to find new play dough when he got home from school!

This play dough makes me want to make a pumpkin pie, but I am trying to wait until Thanksgiving!

If you are looking for a funny Thanksgiving book, we enjoy reading I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie by Alison Jackson.

14 comments:

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Gotta love smelly play dough!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Looks yummy! This is one thing I truly want to try - a homemade playdoh. It looks almost good enough to eat!

Jennifer said...

I made this playdough a few weeks ago and stored it in a tupperware. Just yesterday I opened it up and was in heaven over the wonderful scent! Guess we'll be playing with playdough today too!

Ticia said...

We love that book!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

The kiddos look so happy to see new play dough -- I bet it totally made their day!! I might make up a new batch soon too. You've inspired me!

Debbie said...

This looks like so much fun to make pumpkin play dough. I have been hearing about this book, I have to look for it.

Jenny said...

Mmmmm, I can just smell this!!

momandkiddo said...

After the last time we made play dough I thought, "drat! forgot the smelly stuff!"

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

We've got blecky weather forecast for the whole week - it might be a good time to pull this out!

MaryAnne said...

Adding the food coloring before heating is definitely the way to go if you want to prevent stained fingers!

I'll have to look for that funny Thanksgiving book.

Anonymous said...

Ohh very fun! We made pumpkin playdough last week as well :-) It is always fun to have something new and exciting to come home to :-)

Anonymous said...

Really great idea to go along with the book. Your kids look so happy too!

Willow said...

We used this book as our theme for last week so I might go back and add this activity. Thanks for the great idea(s)!!

Amy said...

My kids have never outgrown playdough! Kind of, neither have I :)