Monday, November 22, 2010

Native Americans

C has been learning about Native Americans in school.  He corrected his sister when she used the term "Indian" a few days ago; he said, "Indians live in India, that person in the book is a Native American".  He was not quite as calm as the sentence suggests though.


C is very interested in the Native American picture dictionary he received from his teacher.  I managed to find the same one online, so click here if you are interested.  We have been using the dictionary to write messages to each other with crayons on sandpaper.



I also printed the Native American paper dolls from the same site that had the Pilgrim paper dolls. Again, I laminated them for durability.


We read the book, Squanto's Journey:  The Story of the First Thanksgiving.  This book is told from Squanto's point of view and is historically accurate.  R is a bit young for this book, but she listened to most of it; C enjoyed it.

I am going to write another message for C now before he comes home from school!  Try the picture dictionary; I bet you will have fun with it too!

9 comments:

MaryAnne said...

Those paper dolls look great! I need to go check out that site. And we just checked out "Squanto's Journey" from the library this morning - hopefully it doesn't go completely over Emma's head. I'll have to try the picture dictionary with her, too.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What a cool idea - thanks for the link! I just have to try it out with Anna.

Miller Moments said...

These are great!! Thanks!!! I've been looking for a Native American picture dictionary

momandkiddo said...

I'm a little confused about that picture dictionary. There is no other information about what Native American tribes used this particular dictionary in that link. I can't imagine it was the same for all the tribes! Did his teacher give them anymore information?

Christy Killoran said...

@Mom and Kiddo: They have been studying Wampanoags and this picture dictionary was in the lesson materials so I assume it is supposed to be a representation of Wampanoag writings. I can't be certain though. For our purposes, I found it sufficient to introduce the idea of the picture writing. Sorry.

Ticia said...

I loved that when I was a kid too. I remember worming on a paper bag to make it like suede and writing secret messages on it

Lynn said...

how fun!

Jenny said...

Abby is learning about Indians as well in Heritage Studies. I like the picture dictionary!

Sherri said...

This is so fun!
I am going to go the library and see if they have this book...my library is short on books...and I am short on time, before Thanksgiving..so I will give it a try! =)