Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Thankful Turkeys

If you search for Thanksgiving crafts, you are bound to find some sort of thankful tree or thankful turkey.  I thought about making many different thankful crafts and decided to keep it simple this year.  In the end, it provided an opportunity for C and R to think about what it means to be thankful and that is really the goal I had in mind.

We began by making turkeys.  C and R painted paper plates and a toilet paper roll brown.  When they dried, I hot glued the toilet paper roll to the paper plate.  Then we glued googly eyes, a craft foam hat, and a craft foam beak onto the toilet paper roll.  Why a hat?  Well, the turkeys needed something on their heads or they would look funny, so they got hats.  We cut a red balloon in half to make two snoods and hot glued them on to the toilet paper rolls. 

I cut a bunch of feathers out of construction paper and let C and R write what they were thankful for on the feathers.  Instead of writing for R, I had her draw pictures.  She did write one word though - Dad.  She knows how to spell Dad.  C wrote all of his with a little spelling help from me.  C glued the feathers on his turkey, and R decided to staple her feathers on because she wanted to use the stapler.   

Before they wrote, we did talk about what it meant to be thankful.  So what are a four year old girl and six year old boy thankful for? 
 R wrote and drew:  Dad, bugs, friends and neighbors, flowers, and pancakes.  

 C wrote:  family, Dad, house, food, and Kelly (our dog).  

Note that the only person they both mentioned is Dad.  He appears to be their number one person right now, and he is pretty happy about that.  I am trying my best to not be jealous, especially after R told me that I am currently in fourth place on her list of favorite people!!!!  For some reason though, when they wake up in the middle of the night, it is my name they yell!

14 comments:

MaryAnne said...

My kids are the same way - Dad's #1 fans, but it's my name they yell in the middle of the night! Why?!

Jennifer said...

Out of the mouths of babes! LOL!

Daddy's topping our list here too. But as I recall, my daddy's still on the top of my list too!

Annette W. said...

Oh yeah...Dad may be the favorite parent, but when the lights go out, it is never his name called. What a funny thing for God to do!

Great turkeys! You could even add additional feathers all month to make a very fluffy turkey. Then maybe your name would be added!

Ticia said...

Only 4th place,that's not right. I'd be scared to ask who got first.

Debbie said...

These are so cute. Selena's been asking for a Turkey craft, I have to get on the ball here. She always takes one to her Great Uncle for Thanksgiving.

Amy said...

Those turkeys are adorable! I love how you used the red balloon for the snood.

Anonymous said...

oo those turkeys are very cute! Daddy was the first person listed in our house too!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I've found keeping a pocket full of candy, moves a person up on the favorites list :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Go Dad, but I think you are too available :) I am positively #1 with a wide lead. I love your turkeys, and it looks like we are going to be doing a similar craft too, since Anna mentioned it to me "subtly" several times already. For now we are in process of filling our thankful tree.

The Activity Mom said...

These are adorable! I just tweeted your post and shared it on facebook. =)

The Mom I Want To Be said...

So Cute! I added it to my tumblr page: http://givinguponacleanhouse.tumblr.com/archive
I'm sure the ratings would be the same at our house! I'm a little hesitant to even ask :)

Anonymous said...

Cute idea and great lesson regarding thankfulness. I bet Dad loves being on "the list". I just always assume mom is something like "priceless" and they don't think to mention us!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

LOL -- I can't believe R's list of favorite people!!!! If she's yelling for you in the middle of the night, that says an awful lot.

Their turkeys turned out great, and I love the idea! Perfect!!

Charlene Juliani said...

Isn't it funny how dads get all the credit :}