Monday, November 15, 2010

Operation Christmas Child

Have you heard of Operation Christmas Child?  I just read about this program recently and thought it would be a nice way for my children (ages 13, 6, and 4) to think about giving to those less fortunate. To participate, we found three shoe boxes and decided on whether our gifts would be for girls or boys and also decided on the age of each recipient.  We decided that each child would pack a shoebox for a child of the same gender and age group.


Over the weekend, I took all three children to Target and let them each shop for a child.  They did a great job.  We filled all three boxes right to the top and they bought nothing for themselves.  They also wrote notes and included photos of themselves.  We will deliver the shoe boxes to a local church one day this week, and from there the boxes will eventually be delivered to needy children.  I know that my children cannot really grasp what it is like to go without, but hopefully this will inspire a lifetime of giving to those less fortunate.


This week (through the 22nd of November) is drop off week, so if you are interested in participating you can check the website for local collection centers.  The website has information about how to pack a shoe box, including suggested gift ideas.  You can also call for more information:  1-800-353-5949.  If you cannot drop off a shoe box this week, shoe box gifts can be mailed to Operation Christmas Child year round.

11 comments:

phasejumper said...

This was my first year during OCC boxes and we'll definitely be doing it again!

Joyful Learner said...

This sounds like fun! Do you get to find out who the shoebox went to? We would love to do this! Thanks for sharing.

Christy Killoran said...

@Joyful Learner: On the website there is information about tracking your box. I'm not sure if you can find out who receives your box, but you can find out the destination.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

That is a great family project!

momandkiddo said...

We're doing this too. Truthfully, I don't support the missionary aspect, but that should not stop me from helping kids!

Jenny said...

I want to do this every year and forget to do it in time for the drop off! Thanks for the reminder!

Sherri said...

This is a fantastic idea!
Every year we choose a family and do Secret Santa...the kids love it!!!
Last year we chose a single mother of 4...we were so excited as we took all our toys, and house hold items...we knocked and ran...nothing...so we knocked and ran a couple more times...then the cops came!
We scared her to death!
I felt so bad...the kids felt bad...and she felt even worse, after she realized what had happened!
I think this program is better!
Thanks for sharing!

Ticia said...

I love Operation Christmas Child. Didn't get to do it this year, maybe we'll do Angel Tree instead.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Love that program! Looks like your kids had a great time.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

My reservations are similar to Mom and Kiddo ones, but we are doing it too anyway. It's the most "age-appropriate" charity I could find so far, since donation is in goods, not in money.

Annette W. said...

I know!! I can't wait to do it with Evan next year, too!