Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day


C had to complete a Veterans Day project for school this week, and R decided that she wanted to do the project too.

First we talked about the word "veteran".  C knew the definition, but R did not so we had a discussion about the military and why we are thankful for the service men and women.  C also told us about the different branches of the military.


Then we visited the Veterans' Memorial Walkway in our town.  C and R each made a rubbing of a brick honoring a veteran.


We spent a few minutes reading some of the plaques and monuments before we left.


There was quite the crowd of first graders there working on this project, so I hope to visit the memorial again at a time when we can focus on the monuments and walkway.

I was very happy to spend time doing this project with C and R.  The memorial is located outside of the public library and even though we walk by it several times a month, I am embarrassed to say that we have never stopped to read any of the monuments before.

I am proud to be an American and so very thankful for the service men and women who sacrifice so much to protect and uphold our Constitution and keep us safe.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You have won a blog award! Go check it out here: http://publixcouponqueen.blogspot.com/2010/11/i-won-blog-award.html

Annette W. said...

I think many of us ignore special parts of our hometown, but now you won't...and each time you go by it the kids will know why it's important!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I agree with Annette. We often stop to look at the memorials in towns we visit - but haven't once glanced at the one here in town.

Ticia said...

What a neat memorial. I don't know of one here in Round Rock, but I'm sure there has to be somewhere.

Debbie said...

This reminds me we should go visit the one in Aberdeen, but then again maybe not, it isn't in the best part of town. I didn't even know they had one until the other day, they put it in the oddest part of the town. Not only that but it really only has a soldier posing with a gun, no memorial wall. Though we did visit a wonderfully made one when we were in Kennewick.

Sherri said...

This is amazing!
We are having fun for celebrating all those who are responsible for our freedoms! =)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Happy Veteran Day. I have no idea whether they have a war memorial here in San Jose - but I suppose I will know next year when Anna is in school.