Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Alaska - Northern Lights Art


We are currently learning about the state of Alaska, and we began our state study by reading Alaska ABC Book by Charlene Kreeger and Shannon Cartwright.  The photo above is the "N" page from the book.  This book gave us some good facts and it was definitely age appropriate, but I was a little bothered by some of the silliness.  For example, P is for Polar Bear in a Parka and M is for Moose in Mukluks.

After reading the book, we watched this short, informative online segment about the northern lights and why they appear in the sky.  C mentioned that he saw an episode of Toot & Puddle about the northern lights.  I tried to find the episode online, but I was unsuccessful.

I gave C and R construction paper and oil pastels and told them to create their own northern lights.  Once they were done, they used black watercolor paint to create the dark sky all around the lights.


They were creating their art early in the morning and the kitchen was so bright that C had to wear his sunglasses!

This is C's interpretation of Aurora Borealis or the northern lights:


Here is R's interpretation:
I would love to see the real thing someday!  Amazing!

13 comments:

Miller Moments said...

We were learning about Alaska a few weeks ago and did the Northern Lights too, with water colors. I think yours turned out better tho!

Anonymous said...

I love their drawings. The sunglasses crack me up! I always think of the Polar Express when I hear Northern Lights. It would be amazing to see one day.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

When I lived in Saskatchewan, we could see the northern lights - but they were only yellow, and white. Still pretty neat to see.

Jenny said...

I keep forgetting I have pastels!

These pictures are so pretty, great project!

danita said...

love this! one of my favorite art activities!

April said...

Their northern lights art is beautiful, I was thinking of doing a project on the northern lights, I even saw a book about it at the library but we never got around to it due to family issues at the time.

Your kids are makes me wish I would have! Very pretty!

MaryAnne said...

Brilliant idea to use black watercolor to show the night sky behind the lights!

Ticia said...

I love their work. That's a great idea for Northern lights.

Debbie said...

When I lived North of Spokane, we could see the Northern Lights. They are as awesome and mystical as they sound!

Susana said...

I LOVE this art project!! It is different from any I've seen and I really, really like it. The book looks good too. When I think of Northern Lights, Frosty the Snowman always comes to mind--you know the scene with the ticket seller:-)?

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

I'm with Maryanne -- what a great use of watercolors/pastels! Love this!!!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

The project looks awesome and very creative. I also wish to see Northern Lights for real one day. I was interested to learn from other comments that one can see them in Continental US.

Sherri said...

I have really missed out on a lot of fun at your house! =)