Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Little Things

I am so grateful for my three children and lately they have been doing little things that I just don't want to forget.  I have been tired and irritable and not exactly the most pleasant person to live with, and they have been very understanding and very helpful.

T (13) has reviewed C's homework, helped C review his weekly words, and  assisted C with Spanish homework.  I am especially grateful for the help with the Spanish homework.  I took four years of Portuguese in high school and it is not the least bit helpful when it comes to C's Spanish.  T has been taking Spanish for a few years now and he is the perfect helper.  I also think it is a great way for T to review what he has learned in Spanish, but I'm still very grateful for the help!

C (6) has been super helpful teaching R to read.  R has been working through the BOB books and when I don't have the energy, he will sit with her and offer help when she needs it.  He has also been a great bedtime story teller lately; he makes up stories for R and this week he brought home a Dora and Diego book from his classroom just to read to his sister.  So sweet!

Now just because R (almost 5) is the youngest (for now) and does not have a younger sibling to help doesn't mean she hasn't been super helpful.  She LOVES to help with household chores and will grab the Swiffer duster or the mop and do her absolute best.  Last week she made me laugh so hard; she said, "Mom, snuggle up under the covers and watch Rachael Ray; I'm going to clean the house for you".  She is the sweetest child and she is going to be a wonderful big sister.

These little things make me so proud of my children.

16 comments:

Jenny said...

So sweet! How cute of C to bring home a book just for his sister!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

How sweet that you have kids that are willing to pitch in and help you and each other. You are raising them well.

Annette W. said...

Awe. You might be cranky and irritable, but they will always love you. Isn't it nice how that crankiness doesn't show on the blog?

Your kids are great!

April said...

Aw, that is so sweet that he brought home a Dora book for his sister, that choked me up a little bit. I love that he was thinking about her even when he was at school with his friends ;)

Anonymous said...

ohh my word what sweeties!! They are all taking on so much responsibility while you haven't felt well!! I love that R told you to go watch some Rachel Ray :-)

Ticia said...

Awwwwwwwww makes the bad days worthwhile

Anonymous said...

So sweet. I bet they are going to be super helpers when the new baby arrives too!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

There's something about sibling affection that just melts a mama's heart. Glad they're baby-ing you!

Chelsea said...

What you wrote is so beautiful. What loving, kind, and incredible kids you have. You are doing a great job. I hope you start feeling a bit better again soon!

MaryAnne said...

How cool! You have great kids =)

Debbie said...

I love this post. It is always so special when our little ones really are doing as much as they can to help out especially when we are not feeling our best.

Rebecca said...

Hahahaha, love the Rachael Ray comment!! I hope you took her up on that!

The Mom I Want To Be said...

Such a lucky mama ;)

Brimful Curiosities said...

Isn't it neat how they help each other out? I'm always amazed, though I shouldn't be, when my kids take care of each other (and me sometimes.) Moments to cherish, definitely!

ariellapapa.com said...

I just saw this tonight and it is so sweet. I love that relationship between siblings. As an only child I am always amazed at the kindness between my kids. They are all going to welcome new baby so well.

Elle Belles Bows said...

Very sweet! You should definitely be proud of them! They definitely have an amazing Mom too! Kerri