Thursday, February 10, 2011

Masking Tape Valentine Placemats


We have had rolls of different colored masking tape in our art cabinet for a few months now, and we finally pulled them out.

I cut hearts out of large, white construction paper and gave one each to C and R, along with the rolls of masking tape.  I showed them how to tear small pieces of tape off the roll and told them to decorate the hearts with the tape however they want.  C (age 6) was able to tear the tape, but R (almost 5) had to use scissors.


They worked on this for quite a while.  This is definitely a great project to give your kids when you are busy with something else.


When they were finished, I traced their hearts onto clear contact paper, leaving a border around the edge so that the two pieces of contact paper enveloping each heart would create a seal.

Here is C's finished placemat, no surprise AT ALL that he stuck with traditional Valentine colors:


R, on the other hand, did her own thing and used many different colors.  She said this heart is a map of our neighborhood.  FYI:  our house is green, our neighbors' house is pink, and there is a yellow house across the street (do you see the houses represented?):


C and R have nice new placemats for Valentine's Day!

One of my all time favorite books that is just perfect to read for Valentine's Day, or any other day, is Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney.


This is the sweetest book about trying to show someone just how much you love him or her.  I think this book is perfect for all ages.

I am linking this to stArt at A Mommy's Adventures and Kids Get Crafty at Red Ted Art.

21 comments:

Unknown said...

That is one of my FAVORITE all time books to read to my kiddos- mainly more for MY benefit, not theirs!

Ticia said...

I wonder how my kids would do with tape...... They're hit and miss on their ability to use it.

Michelle said...

Oh, my two would love making a valentine's placemat! That's also one of our favorite Valentine's reads!

Joyful Learner said...

LOve the neighborhood map. Very creative!

RedTedArt said...

Oh what a fun idea! Love the placemats - do like "practical" crafting! Especially if the kids get to then enjoy their craft more.

Thank you for linking up - always appreciated!!

Maggy

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I've never seen so many colors of tape - what fun!

Jenny said...

Cute idea. If we had colored tape, it would have to be under lock and key or the whole house would be covered with it!

Rebecca said...

These are adorable! How fun to have all that different colored tape! I want some!

Brimful Curiosities said...

I love using contact paper to make placemats. We could use some new ones like your colorful hearts!

Anonymous said...

These turned out super cute!! I love the neighborhood! ;-)

Rhonda said...

To the moon and back.... I tell my kids this every day. We sometimes have battles over who loves whom more...I might let them win, but they could never love me as much as I love them :)
we will definitely be reading it over Valentines day!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love your colored tape - I can see that this project would be very popular here, since Anna loves taping. It cracked me up that C is your "traditional" kid while R does her own thing.

April said...

I have been thinking of buying colored masking tape after seeing a project on the artful parent but I still haven't yet.

Looks like fun!

Unknown said...

What a fantastic idea! I really need to get my hands on some colored masking tape.

Confessions Of A Homeschooler said...

What a great idea, I've had my eye on that tape for awoke tape for awhile! Now I have an excuse to buy it!

Elle Belles Bows said...

I love festive placemats! Yours are too cute!

Off the subject....You are a book guru! So, I was wondering if you have a book to recommend for a little one about to have a younger sibling arrive (not me...a friend). The little one is 2 1/2. Please...only answer if you have time....I know you are not feeling great and are busy. I will check back, but no worries if you do not have a recommendation or are too busy.

Thanks!

Kerri

Michelle said...

Oh wow I love how these came out!! This is one of my favorite books, what a perfect art project to go with it :0) Thank you for linking up to stART!!

Aleena said...

Really great idea

Susana said...

This is such a fun idea! If I had all that colored tape I know Joe and maybe even Jack if I tore his pieces first would LOVE it. The placemats turned out adorable.

I have loved this book even before I had kids, so sweet.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Oh, we love to craft with colored masking tape!! Looks like so much fun for the placemats -- great idea!

Adele said...

These are so sweet! I wish I had seent he post before today although I may still get mine to make some place mats. We made soem play dough mats last weeks and they were great fun. please feel free to link up on our blog, would love to see you over there. its every monday heres this weeks link http://monkeyingaround1.blogspot.com/2011/02/national-heart-month-being-active.html