Monday, February 28, 2011

Baby Update

This is the last week of the first trimester for me.  There is still a touch of morning sickness, but it doesn't last all day long like it did for a few weeks.  Brushing my teeth is the worst trigger of it right now.  I have a lot of food aversions, but the worst is Mexican food.  I love Mexican food, but not now.  Oh, and don't even mention the word chicken, please.  I am all about plain foods right now - Cheerios (plain, not even the multigrain kind, just plain), plain oatmeal (no flavoring, just some nuts and fruit), and plain potatoes.  Funny thing is that I can eat anything chocolate - no problems there. 

I had my twelve week appointment this morning.  When the midwife was unable to detect the heartbeat with the doppler, she sent me to the lab for an ultrasound.  The twenty minutes between the midwife telling me she could not detect the heartbeat and me seeing the heart beating on the monitor felt like hours, but everything looks good.  The heartbeat was good (I think she said 166 or maybe 162, my mind was foggy at the time), the baby is measuring right where he or she should be measuring, and the baby was moving all over the place.  The technician actually said that the baby was probably too active for the doppler to pick up the heartbeat.  What a relief. 

I have gone back and forth about whether I should post my ultrasound photo.  I think the photos are a bit creepy myself, but since I have this blog put into book form every three months, I decided to post it for my own scrapbooking purposes.  So, here is the baby (12 weeks, 3 days):

24 comments:

Jenny said...

That would have been very scary! I'm glad baby is doing well!

LOL about thinking the pics are creepy. I LOVE ultrasound pics! They do look like little aliens sometimes though.

Bummer that you are still having the nausea. The only food aversions I had were eggs and Panera Bread Co's Broccoli Cheddar soup. That smell made me gag! In fact, it was so bad that I haven't had a bowl of their soup since and it's been 7 years!

Anonymous said...

yay for almost the 2nd trimester!! I had that happen to me twice with the heart beat.. glad everything was okay!

momandkiddo said...

Ultrasound photos: perhaps the only time when creepy and cute intersect!

Glad everything is OK! Keep well.

Ticia said...

I'm glad the worst of it is over. I struggled with teeth brushing my whole pregnancy both times

Miller Moments said...

So glad to hear that everything is going okay and that you are feeling a little better! (what a scary moment with the heartbeat tho!)

Beth said...

What a sweet little baby!!! I love ultrasound pictures too!

I hope you feel better soon! We just had our 3rd baby and with this last one I was just like you. I couldn't stand chicken and I wanted all things plain or chocolate...lol, go figure!

Glad that everything went well! I know that can be scary, especially in those first few weeks.

Blessings

MaryAnne said...

Hooray for a healthy baby! I always love ultrasound pictures, and yours is nice and clear!

Hopefully the rest of your pregnancy will go smoothly!

Creatively Content said...

new follower that I am I wanted to make sure I said congrats!!! Glad you posted the "creepy" ultra sound..i love them and they make me think about my little ones who are no longer little.

Susana said...

I am so glad all is well with the baby! The same thing happened with me with Jack and it was such a long wait like you said! Then, with Jesse I had terrible, heavy bleeding at 11 weeks for several days and didn't know if I would sustain the pregnancy, now that was the hardest of all. A healthy birth/baby is truly one of the purest forms of a miracle, IMO, that there is when you think of all that comes into play with the whole process.

I hope your morning sickness continues to slacken and just goes away. Funny, I've never had any aversions to chocolate either:-).

Susana said...

Forgot, I LOVE ultrasound pics. They are so sweet. If you end up not posting more, feel free to email them to me:-). I still have all of mine in our albums and love looking at them.

Sippy Cup Central said...

Congrats! We are due in June! Stay well. Karen

Annette W. said...

Wow. Yes, that would feel like many hours. So glad baby is doing well!

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad everything's ok!!! When I first glanced through before reading all the way and saw "no heartbeat" my heart just sank!!

And what a cute baby! I think the baby has your eyes! ;-)

danita said...

So cute! Will you find out the sex?

Amy said...

I am so glad all is well with the baby! I hope your morning sickness goes fully away very soon and that you continue to feel better. I always keep my ultrasound photos in my kids baby books, too.

Anonymous said...

Ok, My heart just stopped beating for a minute. So glad they found a happy, healthy baby! I'm sure that must have been a tough 20 minutes. Cute u/s!

Joyful Learner said...

Great news! I hope your morning sickness improves soon.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What a scare! I am glad that baby is doing well. I am thinking it's going to be a chocolate-loving girl :)

Goat Gal said...

I'm there with you on the chicken and the chocolate :) I crave plain food AND red meat... Bring on dome potatoes and a big ole' steak!

What a relief to see you sweet little one just fine and healthy.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Oh, I'm so glad the baby's okay. How good to hear he/she's an active little thing! The picture is adorable - not creepy at all :)

Unknown said...

Hey, I ALWAYS felt like an alien took over my body whenever I was pregnant, so the ultrasound pics seemed to make sense to me... :0)

(SO glad to hear all is well with that little "alien" of yours!)

Elle Belles Bows said...

So happy that all is well with the baby and that your morning sickness is a bit better too!

The picture is beautiful! Not creepy at all!!

Very happy for you!

Kerri

Elle Belles Bows said...

So happy that all is well with the baby and that your morning sickness is a bit better too!

The picture is beautiful! Not creepy at all!!

Very happy for you!

Kerri

Peterson Party said...

Yay! I've been thinking about you. So glad that everything is going well for you and baby!!!