Thursday, February 24, 2011

Totem Pole Art

The book on the left is Alaska ABC Book by Charlene Kreeger and Shannon Cartwright.  The book on the right is Totem Tale, A Tall Story from Alaska by Deb Vanasse and illustrated by Erik Brooks.

I am a big fan of tall tales and I love finding tall tales specific to states so that we can incorporate them into our Fifty States Project.  We have been fortunate to find them for quite a few states so far and Alaska is no exception.

This week we read Totem Tale, A Tall Story from Alaska by Deb Vanasse.  The tale takes place deep in a forest where a carver stacked totem animals and forgot them.  As the full moon rises, the totems (raven, grizzly, wolf, beaver, eagle, and frog) come to life.  They have a great time acting like the animals they represent, but as a hint of dawn appears in the sky, they remember that they must return to the pole or the rising sun will trap them in the land of in-between and never-there.  They had trouble remembering how they fit and each one wanted the place of honor at the top of the pole.  It isn't until the raven reminds them that together they told a story that they are able to take their places on the pole.

The author's note states that indigenous cultures of the Pacific Northwest and Southeast Alaska have carved totem poles to illustrate the stories of their clans for more than two hundred years.  According to the author, some of the best places to see totem poles include Wrangell, Sitka, Ketchikan, Seattle, and Vancouver Island.

I originally thought about printing up clip art animals for C and R to glue onto paper towel tubes, but they both wanted to paint their own totem poles.  I still might print the clip art for R - you will see why in a minute.

C put a lot of thought into how he wanted his totem pole to look.


Once he had a plan, he painted the paper towel tube and after it dried, he added details with a black Sharpie marker.


His totem pole, from top to bottom, includes a raven, crab, frog, wolf, and grizzly bear. 


R loves to paint and she went right to work on this project.  If you are a regular reader, then you know that R likes to do her own thing!


 When she was finished, she told me her totem pole is a scarf for C's animals!!!  She cracks me up.  I couldn't get her to smile or do anything other than be silly for this photo!


Our next step for this project is making up stories to go along with the totem poles.  I'll post them soon.

I am linking this to stArt at A Mommy's Adventures and Kids Get Crafty at Red Ted Art.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post made me laugh, R is too cute. She's a great out of the box thinker! I think C did a great job on his totem pole.

MaryAnne said...

C's totem pole looks amazing! I think R would get along with Emma - she always does her own thing, too!

Mrs. Whary said...

They turned out AWESOME! I love them :-) I am always amazed at the great books you find!

Debbie said...

Such cute totem poles! I love to see how our children's minds can think so differently through art.

RedTedArt said...

Ooh fabulous! Love the totem poles! Great fun!

Thanks for linking up!

Maggy

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

C is really quite an artist! But then, I like R's way of thinking, too :)

Ticia said...

I think how the totem pole creations went in your house is just how it would go in my house. Right down to the gender split.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

R is too funny, and I am impressed with how well C totem pole worked out. The story sounds pretty fascinating too.

Anonymous said...

What a fun activity! I was an Indian Princess (kinda like girl scouts but with your dad instead of mom) and we got to make a totem pole.. not sure why I needed to write that out :-P Regardless from that point forward I LOVE totem poles! C did an awesome job with his!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Very impressed with C's artwork! That turned out great!

Chelsea said...

Wow! C is really becoming accomplished with his drawing/painting abilities. I don't think I could make animals look that good.

ps: Thanks for that answer about R's tooth Christy. That sounds scary. I hope the absess wasn't too painful!

Sherri said...

I love this!

Michelle said...

Wow C did an amazing job on his Totem Pole, I love how it came out. R looks really proud of her project too. Painting and drawing on a paper towel tube is not an easy thing!

Thank you for linking up to stART and sharing your wonderful projects :0)