Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Barbie's New Catamaran


I was searching Family Fun for an easy craft and came across this simple catamaran.  I had everything I needed on hand and the entire process took less than twenty minutes.  For someone with sharper scissors, it will probably be even quicker.  I have to buy sharper scissors.  Anyway, this is how I made it.


First, I peeled the labels off two one liter seltzer bottles.  Then, I taped them together with colored duct tape.
Next, I cut ovals out of the top of each bottle.  I cut them small at first and kept enlarging them until Barbie was easy to put inside.  The last step is to put duct tape around the cut edges so they aren't sharp.

R wanted to decorate the bottles.  She used window crayons because they are easy to use on plastic.


The crayon washes off in the tub, but she didn't care.  Plus, she can decorate it over and over again.  It's not very hard to clean off the tub either.

R was very excited to have a new bath toy and immediately climbed into the tub to play.


I'm sure this catamaran will also carry Spiderman and other superheroes as soon as C sees it.

I tried to tell Barbie that "less is more," but she must have misunderstood.  I was referring to her make up, not her clothing.

12 comments:

momandkiddo said...

This is hilariously awesome.

Katherine said...

I LOVE that!

Debbie said...

This is so cute, and looks like so much fun for the barbies. Well, for R too!

Jenny said...

LOL! Did you notice that Barbie's clothes get more skimpy ever year?!

Unknown said...

I love the idea! It looks great! I wonder if JDaniel's farm animals would like a bottle ark.

Anonymous said...

how fun!! We will have to save up some 1 liter to bottles for some super heros :-)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I have to start saving some bottles - this looks terrific. Too funny about "less is more".

Ticia said...

I saw that too and have been thinking about making it.

Our Barbies suffer from the same problem. One has been running around topless for a while. It's somewhat disturbing.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Very funny! Barbie could use a modesty makeover :)

April said...

I love how your daughter can decorate it over and over again. Looks like fun!

Anonymous said...

This is great! Fun way to recycle.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Oh my goodness -- so funny!! I sent the link to Mark, and he thinks it's totally awesome. :-)