Friday, June 29, 2012

Magic Balloon

We did a simple science experiment this morning.

Materials:

  • small water bottle
  • latex balloon
  • 4 TBSP vinegar
  • 2 TBSP baking soda
  • I doubled the ingredients because I let C and R each do their own
Directions:

  1. Pour the vinegar into the bottle
  2. Using a small funnel, spoon the baking soda into the balloon
  3. Holding the balloon so the baking soda doesn't tip into the bottle, stretch the opening of the balloon to fit over the neck of the bottle
  4. Slowly straighten out the balloon and tip it upside down so that the baking soda falls into the vinegar 
  5. Take pictures of the amazement on the kids' faces!


Before doing this, I asked the kids what they thought would happen when the baking soda fell into the vinegar.  They are very familiar with the reaction of baking soda and vinegar since we have made volcanoes and launched rockets with the combination, so they knew it would fizz and maybe explode, but they did not guess that the balloon would blow up!  You can see the surprise on their faces.






3 comments:

Ticia said...

Every time I see that I think I need to do that.

Debbie said...

This is one we have to do. Love the expression on the kid's faces.

Sherri said...

I agree with Ticia...I have always thought "I need to do this with my kids!" Your my inspiration!