Sunday, October 7, 2012

Davis Mega Maze

Yesterday, all six of us went to Davis Mega Maze in Sterling.  Sterling is a hike; it took us about ninety minutes to get there.  Maybe thirty minutes into the ride, Reagan started asking, "Are we there yet?".  The last time we were there, Tyler was five and it took us about four hours to make our way through the corn maze with Tyler leading the way most of the time.  We completed the maze in half the time this year.

I was excited to go to the corn maze this year because it has a "Clue" theme and we recently started playing Clue on our family game nights.

As we were walking in circles over and over again for the first hour, I couldn't help thinking that I should never enter a corn maze alone because I will never find my way out.








One of the cool things about this place is that they have fun activities for the kids at different points in the maze.  You have to find them though!  It's a good thing that we started to find fun things because Reagan was losing it and had to be carried a bit.




We took turns spinning the wheel to find out what might happen to us if we don't complete the maze.

Collin tried the Sling Shots



The Zip Line was a favorite activity of the day.




 Reagan and I tried the Belly Bumpers.  This was a lot of fun.  





This bucket was the funniest thing.  Tom thought it was pretend and so he rang the bell and asked for Taco Bell.  Well, it turns out that the bell rings the snack shack and you place an order, put your money in the bucket, send it down the pulley line and then your order comes back in the bucket.  I was laughing so hard when the snack shack attendant answered Tom's ring!


We ordered bottled water and Twizzlers.

Back to the Clue theme of the maze, someone murdered the farmer, and we had to find out who!
The different suspects could be found at different locations throughout the maze.  We asked them questions to try to solve the mystery.

The Scarecrow

The Vet

The Kernel (yes, Kernel, get it?  Popcorn Kernel)

The Milkman

It was the scarecrow with a pitchfork at the sling shots.  Collin guessed the scarecrow, so he was pretty happy!

After two hours in the maze, we were all happy to see this sign.




There were some fun activities in the field at the end (also the beginning) of the maze.






I found a picture of Tyler in front of this chart when we were there in 2002.



The gold star has to go to Katelyn.  She was just about to fall asleep when we arrived at the corn maze after ninety minutes in the car.  She stayed awake the entire two hours in the maze, riding in the stroller over the very bumpy trails, and was happy as could be the whole time!!!!  It ended up working out great because she slept the whole way home.

I love days like this when we can all have fun together.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun!! We are going next weekend to our corn maze! I think this will be the first year we try and do it :-)

Jenny said...

Wow, Katelyn is awesome for doing so well on that trip!

Tyler is so little in that pic from 2002. How cute. He looks so much the same now, just taller.

I love the game Clue! I wonder if Abby would like it? Do you have the original game or the most recent ones? The newer ones don't look as fun.

What a fun corn maze. We'll have to find something like that around here.

Sherri said...

Whoo Hooo! I'm back on the net!! :) Since you went private I cant locate your blog, except from my home computer that has it already set up! I know there is a way..I'm just not smart enough! :)
When we were in Iowa..there was a great corn maze that we loved to go to every year! I miss it! I haven't found one to replace it yet! I hope to find one!
This looks like a great time!
I won't do the mazes alone either...I would get lost!
The belly bumpers look awesome!
You have a great family!

Ticia said...

Oh man that looks like SO much fun! I would have loved the Clue theme too.
Have you ever done a murder mystery dinner party? I've done a couple of them and always love them.