Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Birds on a Wire


Just last week I mentioned how much we love Birds by Kevin Henkes.  I have mentioned the book at least three times on this blog. 

A while ago, Frugal Family Fun Blog posted a "Birds on a Wire" art project using color coding labels and I immediately thought of the Henkes book.  There are three pages in the book about birds on a telephone wire just sitting and sitting and sitting, and then the narrator looks away for just a second and the birds are all gone.  That's just the way birds are, and it always makes me smile.


So, since we still had the book out in our current rotation of books we are reading, and since we had plenty of color coding labels on hand, I figured we just had to try the project. 


R loves to create art and make crafts, but she likes them to be pretty quick.  She drew her telephone wires and quickly made a few birds.


C, on the other hand, likes to take his time with art projects and really enjoy the process.  He made quite a few birds.

I wonder if the birds will fly away....

11 comments:

Amanda said...

Those are some very impressive birds!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

That's so funny, when I went to pick up note cards, I saw some of those colored lables, and spent quite a bit of time pondering whether to buy them to copy some of Valerie's ideas, too. I left them behind - but now I might have to go back. Those really are cute, and the book is perfect!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What a wonderful craft! I love how they both did different things, and how C stuck with it.

phasejumper said...

As soon as I saw this post, I grabbed everything and did our own version! I'll link to you when I post! Thanks for the idea!

Susan said...

Such a cute idea :)

MaryAnne said...

"Birds on a wire" is one of my favorite crafts from Valerie's blog, and yours are adorable!

Sherri said...

Your house is always creative and fun!

Ticia said...

I love how they turned out.

My kids have their own styles for crafts, and it does tend towards fast, fast, fast.

Kelly said...

This craft is perfect for the book. Love how they look!
http://littlewondersdays.blogspot.com

phasejumper said...

I posted and linked to you!

Susana said...

We haven't read this book either. I'll add it to my growing request list for tonight:-).

LOVE this project too. You are so creative with all of your book related activities. I really enjoy seeing them all.